[SOLVED] Good time to upgrade?

Krytrix

Commendable
Jun 5, 2017
Have been doing research on CPUs and still have no idea if and when a new Intel chip will come out (the roadmap is confusing)
Seen a few things on the new AMD but i have never built one yet

Currently have a i7-7700k and was looking into a i7-9700k (new MoBo and all)
But just don't know if i should hold til new chips hit

Solution
Resolution doesn't affect the cpu all that much, it'll still pre-render the frame, there's a small performance hit in the superwides due to additional amounts of data, but for the most part it's moot. Cp will pre-render a specific amount of frames, and thats the fps limit. After that, it's all on the gpu to live upto that fps, or not. But it can't increase the limit.

Honestly, get your 2080ti, the Samsung and run it as is. See what results you are getting in the games you play, at the details you specify. If fps is affecting game play, then consider upgrade the core, but if you are getting above refresh rates, upgrading isn't going to affect anything but a benchmark.
Currently have a i7-7700k and was looking into a i7-9700k (new MoBo and all)
But just don't know if i should hold til new chips hit

You are more than welcome to wait for future chips, but Intel's next-gen chips are still going to be based on 14nm and likely very similar to current-gen chips.

Intel's road map has changed a lot lately as Intel has repeatedly failed to deliver 10nm desktop processors in the timeframe that earlier roadmaps showed.

What GPU are you going to pair with this CPU? What do you plan to do with your system?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Not really. Streaming will be fine, vm's rely as much on ram as the cpu, if not more so and video editing is close enough that it's only a few minutes difference. If you had 3rd gen Intel or FX and were considering a move, That's a different story, but as far as value goes, for a gaming pc with side jobs, the expense isn't worth the gains. Maybe if this was a professional workstation where time is money, sure. But not a home pc.

Krytrix

Commendable
Jun 5, 2017
I'm currently running a 1080ti but was planning on a 2080ti to pair with a new Samsung 49" 32:9, 5,120 x 1,440 monitor, i posted about it in the GPU threads and a 2080ti would be the way to go

And yes, pure gaming

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Resolution doesn't affect the cpu all that much, it'll still pre-render the frame, there's a small performance hit in the superwides due to additional amounts of data, but for the most part it's moot. Cp will pre-render a specific amount of frames, and thats the fps limit. After that, it's all on the gpu to live upto that fps, or not. But it can't increase the limit.

Honestly, get your 2080ti, the Samsung and run it as is. See what results you are getting in the games you play, at the details you specify. If fps is affecting game play, then consider upgrade the core, but if you are getting above refresh rates, upgrading isn't going to affect anything but a benchmark.

Solution