Good upgrade from G4560 and other components(future)?

dribblinq

Prominent
Apr 22, 2017
This is kind of a continuation of my previous thread but quite a few things have happened since and I think it may help others that are looking to upgrade an existing Pentium G4560 build. Below you can see the components I plan on buying, I want to look for an upgrade path for when I do upgrade and this build isn't going to be completed until around July.

One component not listed in the part list is an old GPU I'm getting from a friend(its a GTX 660 or 670(he isn't 100% sure which one since he doesn't have the original box)), this is the reason I decided to go for the G4560, as it should be a better pair.

What I would like to ask and maybe stir up a conversation with is what would be a good CPU and/or GPU to upgrade this pc with in the future, yes I understand other components can come out before I end up upgrading but I would possibly like some options or ideas in what would be a good idea to upgrade to(as this is my first pc build). I do plan on upgrading storage not long after building and maybe an SSD eventually.

As stated in the previous thread, the mouse and keyboard combo and wireless adaptor are 'needed', they are there to stay, no trashing please. All items are shipped from Amazon for ease.
Previous Thread:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3395876/300-gaming-build.html
Part List:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/RZjb6X

P.S. I do plan to get into water cooling eventually with something like an AIO to get started then to hard line tubing(I love the look).

tanckattb

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017
First of all, if you want to get into water Cooling, you obviously have a CPU upgrade in mind, there's absolutely no point to get a whole custom watercooling loop just for a G4560.

In the future, if you want to upgrade the CPU, you also got to keep in mind that you would also have to probably upgrade your motherboard, unless Intel makes ANOTHER 1151 chip which I highly doubt.

in the future (say a couple years or more) down the road, you would start to look at other CPUs that have different sockets, so it's quite hard to tell right now. Maybe Intel Icelake CPUs or like AMD SP3 socket CPUs.
However if you mean that you'll be looking for an upgrade in the future based on today's SKUs, look at Ryzen.
Kabylake will tend to bottleneck on a bit more graphics cards as their usage in game is much higher compared to the Ryzen chips. So, in a couple years, go for Ryzen.
Which Ryzen chip? One that suits your Budget. High end range, mid end range or Low end range, they are all going to be quad cores at least, so you don't have to worry.

For a video card, if you're looking at today's SKUs as well, if you're going for the mid end range, then go for AMD again.
Why? Because their RX 580 has good DX12 performance, something that is probably going to be used a lot in the future.
If not, go for whatever new thing there is in the market. It'll be a good time to be a pc gamer quite soon ;)

dribblinq

Prominent
Apr 22, 2017

I did plan on upgrading the cpu before going into water cooling, don't worry about that. I did originally plan on upgrading to another LGA 1151 socket cpu better than the G4560 before going with an entirely different motherboard and cpu socket, is there another cpu that is around the same price point as the G4560 with a different socket that is a better choice for future upgrading?

I am thinking of waiting a little longer before solidifying my choice one what to buy, maybe the R3 will be out before I buy the parts and if so I may go through that path.