good upgrade from q8400 & gt 710 2gb for $100

Jul 3, 2017
i would like to know what a good upgrade ( or even if it is worth upgrading , i use my pc for gaming ( and yes , i can game on this pc))would be from my evga gt 710 2gb ddr3 . i have a core two quad q8400 . i would mostly want to upgrade the GPU but if there is another socket 775 CPU that would offer a noticeable improvement i would be willing to buy it if it is in my budget . my pc is an upgraded optiplex 780 mt and has the 305 watt psu it came with . i have 1 hdd , 8gb ram ( 4 sticks ) 1 dvd rom , 1 dvd rw . 1 storage card reader , usb mouse keyboard and headset ( mouse and headset are LED , i dont know if periferals change power required ) and i plan on adding a wifi card . thank you for reading .

Solution
There isn't any LGA775 CPU that would give you a significant performance boost. You'll have to upgrade to either a Ryzen 1200, Kaby i5 or Coffee i3 if you want a substantial CPU performance boost, anything less may feel more like a sidegrade that you'll want to upgrade again. With Coffee Lake's launch only two days away, wait to see what will happen to pricing over the next few weeks before making any decision on the CPU/MoBo/RAM side of things.

On the GPU side, you may want to look at the GT1030 or GTX1050 if you can get one for not much extra money. Anything more would be wasted on a Core2-era CPU.

InvalidError

Titan
There isn't any LGA775 CPU that would give you a significant performance boost. You'll have to upgrade to either a Ryzen 1200, Kaby i5 or Coffee i3 if you want a substantial CPU performance boost, anything less may feel more like a sidegrade that you'll want to upgrade again. With Coffee Lake's launch only two days away, wait to see what will happen to pricing over the next few weeks before making any decision on the CPU/MoBo/RAM side of things.

On the GPU side, you may want to look at the GT1030 or GTX1050 if you can get one for not much extra money. Anything more would be wasted on a Core2-era CPU.

Solution