Good Used Laptop

mmitsch

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
I am using an older Gateway NV44 laptop at home and was considering upgrading. I'd prefer to buy a used laptop if at all possible, maybe one that could take more memory than mine (I can only get 4gb in it) and allow me to use Windows 10 (this one was pretty slow with 10 and I had to drop back to 7). I'd also like to get one with a built in DVD drive and an HDMI port. I don't think I'm too stuck on brands but it'd be kind of good to get a Gateway if there are any good ones out there on the used market.

Let me know your opinions and thanks!

Last edited:

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
As you are probably aware, "Gateway" as a company was purchased by Acer in 2007 and is carried on basically in name only.

I tend to be leery of used laptop purchases, likely due to my own use case and possible misconceptions. When I get a laptop I have a tendency to go "middle of the road" as far as feature/quality and just use it up until obsolescence or critical failure. I have found that in my very limited experience in trying to purchase used ones that I have had FAR better luck using well known or reviewed refurbishers off sites like eBay or Newegg, etc. I have stumbled into some really good deals over the years but almost never when I was specifically searching. I often find used laptops to be over-priced and under-spec'ed for the money basically taking advantage of those who don't know better.
Anyway...off my soapbox.

I like to try and find something priced well and user serviceable (like not soldered components), but something low spec in the better lines, and upgrade the storage and memory options yourself.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I am using an older Gateway NV44 laptop at home and was considering upgrading. I'd prefer to buy a used laptop if at all possible, maybe one that could take more memory than mine (I can only get 4gb in it) and allow me to use Windows 10 (this one was pretty slow with 10 and I had to drop back to 7). I'd also like to get one with a built in DVD drive and an HDMI port. I don't think I'm too stuck on brands but it'd be kind of good to get a Gateway if there are any good ones out there on the used market.

Let me know your opinions and thanks!
What is your budget?

Dell has an outlet store where you can find great deals for refurbished devices (of various grades). You might want to look around there:

https://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/22/campaigns/outlet

D

Deleted member 14196

For 400 you can get a new ryzen based notebook. It’s light years more advanced than what you have

mmitsch

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
As you are probably aware, "Gateway" as a company was purchased by Acer in 2007 and is carried on basically in name only.

I tend to be leery of used laptop purchases, likely due to my own use case and possible misconceptions. When I get a laptop I have a tendency to go "middle of the road" as far as feature/quality and just use it up until obsolescence or critical failure. I have found that in my very limited experience in trying to purchase used ones that I have had FAR better luck using well known or reviewed refurbishers off sites like eBay or Newegg, etc. I have stumbled into some really good deals over the years but almost never when I was specifically searching. I often find used laptops to be over-priced and under-spec'ed for the money basically taking advantage of those who don't know better.
Anyway...off my soapbox.

I like to try and find something priced well and user serviceable (like not soldered components), but something low spec in the better lines, and upgrade the storage and memory options yourself.

Yep, I knew Gateway was purchased by Acer. I'm not even sure there are new Gateway's sold anymore. Just always got a kick out of the name as it was the brand of the first computer I ever bought (a big old heavy desktop with a 20 mb hard drive and DOS :)).

I don't really use a laptop so much, and was just wanting to get something a little newer. I was curious as to what folks thought.

I appreciate your response and hope you have a Happy New Year!

mmitsch

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
What is your budget?

Dell has an outlet store where you can find great deals for refurbished devices (of various grades). You might want to look around there:

https://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/22/campaigns/outlet

I'd like to spend around $100~$150. I can use the hard drive from this one (bought a new solid state 500gb last year) and don't mind adding memory, etc.. I just want a well made frame, motherboard and monitor -- something with a more modern processor too (this have a Pentium T4500).

I really appreciate your help and will check the link you sent.

Have a Happy New Year!

mmitsch

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010