[SOLVED] Good ways of cooling my GPU?

Oct 6, 2020
Hi,

I'm experiencing a major issue. I got a kickass computer with good components, about 1½ years old. I used to be able to run everything on maximum graphic settings using 3 monitors:
One 27" curved monitor on 3840x2160 resolution, 144Hz
Two 24" straight monitors on 1920x1080 resolution, 144Hz

Since I moved I've hooked up my PC to my TV. It's a 65" TV, 4k UHD. Problem is... my PC now dies when playing games. I've done some troubleshooting and the problem is my GPU temp is going above 90 degrees celcius and killing my PC to prevent damage to the component. Fair enough. I've lowered the display settings on my TV to 1920x1080 and I keep my game graphic settings at low/medium rather than high/ultra but the issue remains on some games such as the well known unoptimized game PUBG etc.

Are there any good ways of cooling my GPU down so that I can remain playing games and perhaps even increase the graphic settings? I even opened up my case when gaming to let all heat out.

I've got 1 fan in the back of the PC so the CPU area temp is fine. But there's a lot of heat below the GPU (between the GPU and the PSU) and I don't have any space to install a proper fan to blow out heat from there.

My PC specs are:
i9 9900K 5GHz CPU
RTX 2080 Ti 11GB GPU
16GB RAM (2x8) on 3600Mhz
750 Gold standard PSU
Asus Z390 Gaming MB
Corsair watercooling for the CPU (2x180mm fans)

If any additional information is required, please comment and I'll be happy to provide!

Thank you!

Solution
How do you have your displays set up? I feel like you are treating each display as unique. I think you could clone the 4k curved to the TV rather than treating it as a discrete. That would save you having to render a 4k desktop and a 4k TV output. I suspect that you don't use all 4 displays at the same time. Rather using the dual 1080s and the 4k and switching to the 4k TV.

Reducing the load in this way should allow you to keep temps down. I think you might want to clean the system out too. Maybe repaste the card and as others have said check your airflow.

tkp

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2013
As a test to eliminate airflow as the issue run the computer with the case open. Place a large box fan next to it to keep the inside of the case cool. If this doesn't do it, you probably have a problem with the card.

How do you have your displays set up? I feel like you are treating each display as unique. I think you could clone the 4k curved to the TV rather than treating it as a discrete. That would save you having to render a 4k desktop and a 4k TV output. I suspect that you don't use all 4 displays at the same time. Rather using the dual 1080s and the 4k and switching to the 4k TV.

Reducing the load in this way should allow you to keep temps down. I think you might want to clean the system out too. Maybe repaste the card and as others have said check your airflow.

Reactions: Mtop
Solution