Question Good WiFi router to support 200Mbps connected to 10 devices

anjanesh

Prominent
Jul 22, 2021
anjanesh.com
I recently upgraded my internet from 100Mbps to 200Mbps.
What I currently have is Mi Router 4C which works well for me so far - I don't play games but stream movies on my TV.
But my friend says to get a better router for higher speeds ad Mi 4C doesn't support 200Mbps and also it's not dual band.
But the product description says upto 300Mbps.

1. Would I feel the difference if I get Mi Router 4A.
  2. Is it worth the money to spend on a WiFi 6 one like this ASUS RT-AX82U AX5400 or Asus RT-AX55 AX1800 etc ? I am checking amazon.in mainly.

I recently upgraded my internet from 100Mbps to 200Mbps.
What I currently have is Mi Router 4C which works well for me so far - I don't play games but stream movies on my TV.
But my friend says to get a better router for higher speeds ad Mi 4C doesn't support 200Mbps and also it's not dual band.
But the product description says upto 300Mbps.

1. Would I feel the difference if I get Mi Router 4A.
  2. Is it worth the money to spend on a WiFi 6 one like this ASUS RT-AX82U AX5400 or Asus RT-AX55 AX1800 etc ? I am checking amazon.in mainly.
The goal with wifi is to have the maximum 200Mbps available on any one device at any location in your home. So if would help if you checked what kind of speed you're receiving on your most important devices, first one device at a time and then with all of your devices that you normally would have running at the same time. For computers there's a free wifi analyzer in the windows store that can tell you what kind of speed you're getting. I don't know what kind of analyzers are available for portable devices. Whether or not any of the routers you mention would benefit you would depend on the hardware in your receiving devices. How many of the 10 devices support wifi 5; those would benefit from the Mi Router 4A with its wifi 5 capability. How many of the 10 devices support wifi 6 or 6E; if you don't have any of those an AX router would not help at the moment. Buying an AX router would be considered future proofing until you have some wifi 6 or 6E devices.

So you biggest issue with that router is it has 10/100 lan and wan ports. You need something that has gigabit wan/lan ports.
You are pretty much wasting your money on the faster internet since the router will never go faster than 100mbps.

The wifi numbers are massive lies. You might get 30-40mbps on the wifi on a 300 number router even if it has gigabit wan/lan

As mentioned above your end device also affect the speed. If your end devices can not use the fast wifi encoding you will see no benefit.

Overall you might not need 200mbps. It might be just a way to spend more money every month. You have to look in detail what you are really using.

Things like streaming video only use what they need any extra will go unused. So if you were to stream 4k netflix that uses 25mbps on your 100mbps you would have 25mbps user and 75mbps unused. On a 200mbps it would still be 25mbps used and 175mbps unused.

Now lets say you have 5 tv each running 4k netflix at the same time. They would together try to use 125mbps which is more than the 100mbps. On the 200mbps it would use 125mbps and leave 75mbps unused.

Faster internet is mostly for file downloads. It would reduce the time it takes to say install a large game. Once the game is running it would not make much difference because like netflix game only used a fixed amount and in this case it is less than 1mbps most times.

I would still get a new router even if you were to go back to 100mbps internet service. The 300 number is a big lie. You will never be able to even get 100mbps. I would look for a router with a 1200 number on it. That matches most end devices.