kais

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
ok after doing as good 2 weeks of research ive come up with a system to build i do plenty of gaming and i want it to last me at least 2 years without expecting to uprade anything but the video and ram and maybe as cheap cpu here are the parts and i dont know amd or intel i get amd from everyone and also i dont want sli does anyone recommend it

p4 640 lga775 3.2
INTEL BOXD945PSNLK INTEL 945P
2 gigs 667 ddr2
ati x850xt
god knows wut kinda hd

thats pretty much it now if anyone has better suggestions feel free

Maxiius

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Gamer = AMD, but thats a personal preference.

What kinda price budget you got set for this build? Will be easier for people to help ya pick out parts for most bang for you buck.

kais

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
ok well i save plenty w/o sli i was thinking in the hood of a 3700+ but if anything can perform as good for gaming thats cheaper let me know if anyone has any components to recommend please let me know
hows this sound

amd athlon 3200+-3700+
ati x1900xtx
some mobo

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Note: Any prices I mention would be in AU$ (Australian Dollars)

Stock Q1 2006 PC recommended spec :

CPU: AMD Athlon64 3700+ (1 MB cache, Socket 939 model)
=======================================================
Mainboard: Foxconn 6150K8MA-8EKRS
http://www.foxconnchannel.com/products_motherboard_2.cfm?pName=6150K8MA-8EKRS
Avoid the '6100' variet though.... performance and spec wise isn't as nice.
A decent nForce 4 based mainboard for the $125 price tag IMHO.

Video: GeForce 6150 integrated, or use a PCIe x16 (such as: ATI Radeon X1900 XT or GeForce 7800 GTX, or future PCIe x16 video cards). Just make sure to get a 400w PSU for 7800 or X1800 or higher video cards for ongoing stability.

(No negative side effects when video is upgraded via PCIe x16, performance is excellent. The GeForce 6150 is more like a freebie [;)] )
=======================================================

RAM: 2 x 1 GB PC3200 (Geil, Kingston, Kingmax, Corsair, etc).
(The Geil is cheap, well spec'd and has headspreader, which reduces chance of EMI / ESD at the very least during installation)

HDD: Samsung 160 GB (7200 rpm, 8mb cache, SATA with NCQ, etc) (Currently well priced)

Case: Antec TX640B (black) (400 watt PSU for higher end video cards, well ventilated)
http://www.antec.com/us/pro_en_perfTX.html
The cases are also stylish and meet the Chassis Air Guide 1.1 spec, unlike others.
(Has vents for correct ongoing functionality of video card, and also CPU. In short the 'proper cooling solution' that most cheap PCs lack.)

SOUND: Integrated (most onboard sound is 'hardware acclerated' these days).
Alternative: Creative Audigy 2 ZS or Value.

LAN: Integrated LAN these days is pretty good, can get Yukon Marvell Gigabit, Intel PRO 1000, Broadcom and others right on the mainboard.

OS: Choice of Windows XP Home, Pro or x64 Edition, all are supported on the above platform.

Total Cost: Around AU$1000, for the hardware only, excluding video card upgrade (but talking AU Dollars anyway).

Price will vary (esp outside of Australia for example) but cheaper than alternatives from a price/performance perspective, the AMD Athlon64 3700+ is excellent for gaming when paired with a Radeon X800XT or GeForce 6800GT/GS.

Unless you want to go for a more expensive mainboard for SLI or other particular features I would recommend the above.

Tip: SLI is pointless in the long run on your budget, as you can just sell your video card and replace it with a faster one down the track. Save money by not getting SLI then put it into a higher end video card to start with.

The above mainboard is very often overlooked, (Winfast Leadtek = Foxconn - Same Company) check the reviews of each, and 'instability' reports on each by reviewers, you will be surprised.

Regards,
Tabris.DarkPeace