[SOLVED] Goofy Static IP fighting with DHCP

xra7en

Reputable
Apr 21, 2018
OK, been doing this for years, and no issue.
The last few days, been having an issue with setting a static LAN (the only thing different is I am now with Xfinity vs CenturyLink - just in case this matters.

As usual properties on the network
ip4 =
10.0.0.141 <-- static IP I choose (moot, just for explanation)

DNS server

that works fine without errors.
however, if I want to visit a site 99% of them fail to connect. which I am assuming this is because of the DNS server choice
So changed that to 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4
Still no connect, until the DHCP is turned back on.

Troubleshoot, it says the DHCP is turned off, and then it turns it back on, everything works, but I lose my static IP(again)

What is causing this?

I am hoping I cant see the forest for the trees and I misses something stupid. LOL Which I have been known to do.

Solution
yes 10.0.0.1 is my IPS router (I'm used to the 198.162..... style IP, Xfinity just uses a different one)
DHCP does populate, just with a different value, and my NIC panel is reset to blanks.

As shown in the picture, I did find an alternative (for those with Xfinity - this might be a better option) I just like the old way, but for some reason, it just would not stick, and I think it was because of how Xfinity has the router setup.
So I was able to turn off the DHCP and assign an IP and it stuck.

Another page worth mentioning I was looking at while still trying to find a solution was this one.
Apparently, this is a way to do it similarly without...

kanewolf

Titan
OK, been doing this for years, and no issue.
The last few days, been having an issue with setting a static LAN (the only thing different is I am now with Xfinity vs CenturyLink - just in case this matters.

As usual properties on the network
ip4 =
10.0.0.141 <-- static IP I choose (moot, just for explanation)

DNS server

that works fine without errors.
however, if I want to visit a site 99% of them fail to connect. which I am assuming this is because of the DNS server choice
So changed that to 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4
Still no connect, until the DHCP is turned back on.

Troubleshoot, it says the DHCP is turned off, and then it turns it back on, everything works, but I lose my static IP(again)

What is causing this?

I am hoping I cant see the forest for the trees and I misses something stupid. LOL Which I have been known to do.
is 10.0.0.1 your ISP router ?
When you use DHCP what values are populated ? Open a cmd.exe window and run ipconfig.exe /all Post the results when it doesn't work and when it does.

xra7en

Reputable
Apr 21, 2018
is 10.0.0.1 your ISP router ?
When you use DHCP what values are populated ? Open a cmd.exe window and run ipconfig.exe /all Post the results when it doesn't work and when it does.

yes 10.0.0.1 is my IPS router (I'm used to the 198.162..... style IP, Xfinity just uses a different one)
DHCP does populate, just with a different value, and my NIC panel is reset to blanks.

As shown in the picture, I did find an alternative (for those with Xfinity - this might be a better option) I just like the old way, but for some reason, it just would not stick, and I think it was because of how Xfinity has the router setup.

Another page worth mentioning I was looking at while still trying to find a solution was this one.
Apparently, this is a way to do it similarly without DHCP getting in the way.

https://ibb.co/0KPVcnt

FYI
Xfinity does not allow direct edit of your router these days, for advanced stuff like port forwarding, etc.. you actually log into your account online - really hate that. I think this is another issue - it does have its advantages, at least until the net fails LOL

kanewolf

Titan

Apparently, this is a way to do it similarly without DHCP getting in the way.

https://ibb.co/0KPVcnt

FYI
Xfinity does not allow direct edit of your router these days, for advanced stuff like port forwarding, etc.. you actually log into your account online - really hate that. I think this is another issue - it does have its advantages, at least until the net fails LOL
Using the "reserved" IP option on the router is actually the better implementation. That way you keep DHCP and if you go to another location you don't have to change anything.

Reactions: xra7en
Solution

ARICH5

Distinguished
Xfinity does not allow direct edit of your router these days, for advanced stuff like port forwarding, etc..

just for my info...how is this possible? various programs like utorrent allow port forwarding as do some production programs. how can a whole isp no allow it?