News Google’s AI Search Feels Like a Content Farm on Steroids

Colif

Win 11 Master
Google stopped being a search engine years ago, once everyone only used the same library (to use terms from article) they started selling spot on front row to anyone who wanted to be at the top.

AI is just taking it one step further and only recommending Google. I am sure it will let others pay to be on top once its had some backlash. It will still just be there to sell you things.

We need more search engines. It was better in the past. At least they couldn't just turn them all into sales engines.

AI feels like the metaverse again, all the big companies want to make the one everyone uses. Mad rush lol.

google's algorithm has been censoring search results for years. it's amazing the content that google just doesn't let people see; harmless stuff here, i'm not even talking about hot topic issues.

i strongly suggest people do their own experimenting with various web search engines to see the different results when you make the same search requests, and see what an unfiltered reply looks like. i won't suggest search engines, because i think they all do something similar to google, you'll have to find one that fits your own needs... just like the days on the internet before google.

abufrejoval

Reputable
Jun 19, 2020
As to the recommendation of the 5800X3D: my first guess is that it's using outdated data very much like GPT-x. There was a cutoff during the training and they haven't solved how to update without doing a complete retraining.

2nd guess: It's actually still a valid answer, because "best" is obviously in the eyes of the beholder.

And for me it's still true, in a way, even if I wouldn't now buy another 5800X3D, because I already own one and any additional CPU would have to fit into a different use case.

I write this on a 5800X3D, I bought it based on your recommendation and that of various other writes of the industry when it got to be so cheap (because the 7000 series was just out) the premium for extra cache no longer hurt.

I wanted ECC and 128GB of RAM, I wanted it to run many VMs but also be quiet and low-power. With a 7000 series and DDR5 pricing, that just wasn't possible, Intel W680 boards with DDR4 couldn't actually be bought, either.... It's easy to choose when there is little choice (I know it's changed a bit since).

Sure it needed to be faster than its Haswell Xeon E3 predecessor, but you almost need an modern Atom to be slower than that.

It's your fault (and your merit) that I bought the system: in that sense you might have earned the share of revenue that you never received from AMD, because I use ad-filters to be able to read this site in peace. That money sure should not have gone to Google, because once I knew Tom's hardware, Anandtech and Semiaccurate existed, there was no point in ever using Google again to reach your content (actuall I use DuckDuckgo if I really want to search): I honestly can't recall if Google ever let me to you at all and on principle I try to ignore all advertisement, because I know it is systematically bad advice: every penny that went into ads has not gone into the product.

The bigger the hype, the worse the value!

Ok, there is scale, especially in things like chips... and that muddles this argument.. pesky details...

Anyhow, all that is really irrelevant for you and for the future of sites like this.

You worry about your future.

And I can certainly empathise with that: I already wonder how you ever made it so far with all the 'smart' people like me blocking and not falling for ads: I just couldn't imagine how my many purchases ever filled your coffers when I filter, block and delete every cookie I can't just eat!

But I can't imagine any current or near AI producing content with a quality higher than that of any of these teeny influencers.

And I surely ignore those completely, so nothing's lost where I am concerned!

I know that I'll be coming to your site as long as you manage to continue. And I know you'll do better than anyone to sucker me into buying more of these chips than I realistically need.

What I don't know is how you'll get paid, but I sure hope you manage!

Last edited:

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Google’s new SGE offers outdated or generic advice with no authority behind it. Still, it pushes legitimate content down in favor of Google’s answer.

Google’s AI Search Feels Like a Content Farm on Steroids : Read more
This is exactly why I hate when companies claim they can replace anything with "AI" and say its a "godsend that will fix the world". No idiots.. "AI" isnt even "AI". They are giving these things "AI" as a brand not as a realistic value. It just processing on already existing data. And if the data that was feed was wrong.. then the answers will be wrong!!!

Colif

Win 11 Master
its not intelligence, its just got a large memory pool. It doesn't know anything. If its like chatgpt, it just is really good at predicting the next word. By probability. Based on previous sentences.

As above said, if its sources are wrong, its answers will be as well.

But if you label it as AI, no one will question it. No one who wants to profit off this points out its not really AI.

D

Deleted member 14196

google's algorithm has been censoring search results for years. it's amazing the content that google just doesn't let people see; harmless stuff here, i'm not even talking about hot topic issues.

i strongly suggest people do their own experimenting with various web search engines to see the different results when you make the same search requests, and see what an unfiltered reply looks like. i won't suggest search engines, because i think they all do something similar to google, you'll have to find one that fits your own needs... just like the days on the internet before google.
I gave up on Google their answers absolutely suck

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
its not intelligence, its just got a large memory pool. It doesn't know anything. If its like chatgpt, it just is really good at predicting the next word. By probability. Based on previous sentences.

As above said, if its sources are wrong, its answers will be as well.

But if you label it as AI, no one will question it. No one who wants to profit off this points out its not really AI.
This!
Its just a marketing gimmick at this point.
The only impressive is the filtering for image processing. Anything else is just a massive database that can be "handled" in a certain way to produce results

wbfox

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2013
A. Google's normal search has been utterly useless for years at this point. When you consistently are given results that are literally the opposite of what you searched for and all Top 10 affiliate links you can click to go to Amazon and buy drop-shipped junk from Aliexpress, I think the algorithm is pretty obvious. This sounds no different except they tacked the words AI into the name.
B. The AI revolution is not at all suspect with it being to the benefit of the same companies that fueled the prior scam of monkey jpegs and online digital monopoly bucks. The only problem is that the AI ploy is infinitely harder for the normies to understand and there are definitely some promising avenues, but in large part is more ELIZA reborn with better special effects.
C. Where are all the copy right trolls that DMCA anything that has two notes of something they think may be theirs given the fact that most of the LLMs are basically plagiarism on the scale of, well, everything?
D. The internet has failed or rather, we just can't have nice things can we?

May 28, 2023
LLM are basically performing micro plagiarism at a large scale. Unfortunately the content portion of the web is very dependent on Google’s search traffic and will not be able to survive without this traffic if/when google keeps it all to themselves with this micro plagiarized content. This is the danger of allowing companies like Google to monopolize an industry like search. They will extract as much value from the web that they can and when the entire content ecosystem collapses they will make some platitudes about helping publishers.