Google’s DeepMind Creates Another Real-World Breakthrough In Synthetic Speech Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenjitamura

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Yay. We're now one step closer to making celebrities say whatever the hell we want them to say and floating the clips around the internet for people to think they're real sound bytes.

McWhiskey

Reputable
Sep 23, 2015
So we fully replace actors visually with cgi. Step 2, replacing them audibly with "cga" is right around the corner.

Then actors will be obsolete.

But if actors are obsolete, who will we collectively worship?

bloodroses

Distinguished
Oh great.... now the spam phone calls we receive from telemarketing machines are going to get more realistic sounding; or tech support calls for that matter.

I guess that means that voice recognition security is now useless as well.... lol

lorfa

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2012
Should have included the link: https://deepmind.com/blog/wavenet-generative-model-raw-audio/

Gives the examples and explains better what it is they're doing.

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006

Do bear in mind that there will still need to be directors and animators creating the content as Deep Mind has not yet got to the stage of cohesive dramatic inspiration.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
WaveNet is a fully convolutional neural network that can modify the raw waveform of the audio signal one sample at a time.
Saying it "modified" the raw waveform confused me. I think you meant to say "synthesized".

I don't know, but I'm really liking this Sharon Apple I've been hearing, lately.

Was that not in the Source: link, under the headline? It's there, now.

I've never seen Lucian fail to source his articles. I also doubt I've seen him reply to any comments (does he even read them?).

Well... because it's not?

Status
Not open for further replies.