Google’s 'Physical Web' Aims To Create An Internet Of Things Without Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thexder

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This seems to be similar to an idea I had a while back about using bluetooth, RFID, and/or NFC for home automation that was truly automated as in you walk up to the house, maybe enter password on your phone and the door unlocks, as you enter rooms the lights come on if the room is too dark, and if you star watching some TV or a movie or streaming some video or listening to music it would follow you around the house. Granted this would require you to keep your phone with you but I think it would be a good setup. I just never got around to trying to implement anything like that. Google's idea is a lot more widespread and I would love to see some standard interface for IoT like that so the consumer side is completely standardized. It does seem like something I read before about IoT devices basically pushing their own app or web interface rather than someone having to separately install an app on their phone or tablet to use the IoT device.

alextheblue

Distinguished
This seems to be similar to an idea I had a while back about using bluetooth, RFID, and/or NFC for home automation that was truly automated as in you walk up to the house, maybe enter password on your phone and the door unlocks, as you enter rooms the lights come on if the room is too dark, and if you star watching some TV or a movie or streaming some video or listening to music it would follow you around the house. Granted this would require you to keep your phone with you but I think it would be a good setup.
This sounds nothing like what Google is talking about. What you're discussing is definitely proprietary app territory, rather than deliberate web-based interaction with a smart device - especially devices away from your home, for which you may not have an app installed.

Anyway I can't help but think to myself... wasn't this really a no-brainer? Routers and other networked devices have been doing this for some time.

jbeanfish

Reputable
Oct 3, 2014
I always thought the big push to apps for everything was kinda dumb in most cases. A web page is portable and plenty sufficient for most applications.

Matthew Pyne

Honorable
May 16, 2013
Pretty sure that would be an "intranet" of things not internet but ok. Everyone can just misuse terms if they want I guess -_-.

Status
Not open for further replies.