Google Acquires VR Studio Owlchemy Labs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiqar_

Prominent
Apr 28, 2017
Madness! Does anyone ever fear that all these big companies will take over VR and not leave room for the little guys? I mean what is a loq-income customer to do? I hope they have some indie companies like makerbot that try to break in the market and make for themselves to cater to the little guy. Finger crossed!

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Well, Facebook/Oculus just went the opposite direction and closed their in-house studio, in favor of putting more resources into indie developers and the general ecosystem.

*If* Google bought them to make any kind of content (i.e. not just for the gesture technology), then the idea is probably to take a page out of the playbook of console manufacturers (with Nintendo being the prime example). So, they might provide a few top-notch first party titles, in order to show off the platform and get people interested.

But I really think they want to be in the platform business rather than the content business. So, the vast majority of titles will be made others and they'll just take a cut of everything sold through the Play store, as well as harvesting usage data from all the users.

Status
Not open for further replies.