Google Aims For Windows With New Window-based ChromeOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Even if its a good OS, I have my doubts about it ever making much of a dent in windows or mac OS. Both os's are so mature now, and there's a million flavors of linux for those that dont't win or mac.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Well in the past ppl thought that MS is spying on you trough their OS but google does this everyday with your google account .. imagine having their OS ... there will be absolutely nothing that they won`t know about you. Personally i have nothing to hide but i don`t like it that someone can actually have access to w/e i do on the internet.

zippyzion

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Just because everyone is being so darn negative...

I like Chrome OS. I want to see it do better. I see a huge potential for it being used on little media consumption net books or in school libraries. I like the idea of using it in schools or libraries. All we need is an install for some form of desktop and you could buy a $200 Chrome box instead of $500 Dell or $1000 Apple computers. Do you know how much return on investment there would be for tax payers? You could have Chrome boxes that will access the internet just fine, say 20 of them where you would only have 10 computers, and have enough money left over for a few power computers if someone needs one. A Chrome box would be amazing for public internet terminals. Someone has dropped the ball on this one.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]livebriand[/nom]Ehh... now if they made a full on desktop OS with good support and apps, people might actually be interested in it.[/citation]

Are you talking about Chrome OS or the new Win8?

I kid...

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]emperornicon[/nom]windows 8 is terrible it is a space/power hog[/citation]
Space hog, yes. Power hog HARDLY.

It actually improved the battery life on my laptops.

spiralsun1

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Please, Google... just because you are made trendy by every little thing you do being trumpeted in the media, does not mean we are going to fall all over ourselves to make YOU the internet-giant monstrosity with fingers in every pie. What's the difference between Microsoft and the Google monster?
Microsoft did not have the media on it's side to totally take over, microsoft did not censor search results. Microsoft was no threat to privacy, had no (dangerous) political agenda. We should be worried because the controlled media put them into power, made them worth a lot on a public stock offering, and are basically an extension of the status quo with more money and power now than they ever dreamed of before. I am not going to be one of their mindless supporters. Why do we need a new OS? so Google can have more control.

hiruu

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
Garbage...lol...Google is search...period, as it subsidizes everything else...instead if figuring out more efficient ways to deliver product on the OS the world use, these clowns are trying to recreate it in Google's vision. Apple got wise and looked elsewhere to great success...anyway FB will soon be eating some Google's lunch money in search.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I want traditional XP-Like menu bar everywhere, which is being taken away from me on all fronts by MS.
I want start menu or equivalent, which W8 is getting away too.
Google and their minimalistic view at least don't change UI that often, so, gimme menu bar and start button, add in there directx support or emulation, and I will come.

trumpeter1994

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Google just pulled an apple and took an idea from windows then slapped their name on it........ I mean really..... Aura and Aero?!?!? you changed one damn letter and it wasn't even a consenent, you chose a vowel that makes sound almost the exact same!!!
Yet another reason why i dislike google, they flooded youtube with ads. Oh well lets just hope that when their fiber comes to KC it's affordable and I can get it because I'm sick of roadrunner, thats all i really care about from them right now.

G

[citation][nom]trumpeter1994[/nom]^correction two letters but it still sounds almost identical...[/citation]

don't sweat it, with the quality of spelling on Toms that is close enough..

With ChromeOS - i don't see where Google are going with this. Chrome books aren't selling, if people wanted a media consumption / light creation OS there are a dozen lightweight Linux distros that users could install that will do that. People just don't seem to want that type of service, tablets have captured the media consumption market and the price difference between Chromebooks and cheap laptops does not apear high enough for organisations to take on the risk and higher cost of ownership in terms of supporting two OS flavours in the enterprise.

I might be wrong, maybe in 10 years time cromeOS will be commonplace; I just have a feeling that if this market exists then windows 8 with it's integration of the handheld / desktop look and feel, (supposedly) modular, lightweight structure and ARM support for low-end devices is going to crush chromeOS flat

why would anyone want to run any IOS/amdroid app on a home computer rather than a real computer program? shut it and get bluestacks already

all it took for vista to fail were the morons trying to install it on their 20 year old PC's. what kind of fail is windows 8 going to have when they find the start button is gone and replaced with a whole new UI?

[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]all it took for vista to fail were the morons trying to install it on their 20 year old PC's. what kind of fail is windows 8 going to have when they find the start button is gone and replaced with a whole new UI?[/citation]

All it took for Vista to fail was it's instability, poor driver support, deplorable performance, and then people trying to install it on NEW PCs of the time for it to fail. PCs six years ago often only had 256MB to 1GB of RAM and Vista needs at least 2GB to run properly. It runs even better with 4GB. However,
Windows 7 with 1GB of RAM is faster than Vista with 4GB.

I try not to feed the trolls, but you're not an obvious enough troll for the people who don't know anything about the last decade of computer history. Go ahead and try running Vista on even 2006/2007/2008 machines that had 512MB-2GB of RAM and see how it went.

EDIT: I expect a new OS to run on a new machine. That was not the case with Vista unless you had a high end system back then. Most computers are not high end. People are not morons for expecting a now OS to run on most new machines. If Windows 7 got worse than Vista and needed 4GB of RAM at a minimum, then you can bet that people would be pissed because several years ago, 4GB was not nearly as common as 2GB and a huge amount of people would be screwed out of an upgrade.

For example, my 2006 Campaq desktop only had 1GB of RAM and it was considered mid-range back then. Guess what? It had a sticker on it that specifically said it was ready for Vista. Was I a moron for expecting it to be ready for Vista, especially considering that it had a sticker on it from M$ and Compaq that said it was ready? Guess what, it wasn't ready.

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]Well in the past ppl thought that MS is spying on you trough their OS but google does this everyday with your google account .. imagine having their OS ... there will be absolutely nothing that they won`t know about you. Personally i have nothing to hide but i don`t like it that someone can actually have access to w/e i do on the internet.[/citation]

Why not? It is done by the government 24/7.

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
[citation]Rumor has it that fewer than 5,000 Chromebooks were sold last year.[/citation]

And I saw 2 of them on my vacation with my friends.

I thought more people would buy Chromebooks for the low price. I wouldn't. But that's just because I don't want Google to control even more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.