Question Google and other apps displays Indonesian ads instead of local ones.

iam480p

Honorable
Oct 18, 2017
Good day. I am concerned with how our network is behaving recently. When I search on Google, play videos on Youtube, or listen to spotify, the ads that are playing and the results from Google shows Indonesian ones instead of local ones. I'm from the Philippines by the way and I'm concerned because all of our devices connected to our network seems to be behaving that way.

iam480p

Honorable
Oct 18, 2017
Based on the link you gave me, the location of my IP is correct. I have contacted our ISP regarding this issue. Hope this gets resolved soon because, this is really concerning.

BobCharlie

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
If it's still an issue, there are sites that compile all known ad site domains into a HOSTS file, and they'll then block those ad sites from ever appearing or putting ads up. Only downsides are large hosts files can cause slowdowns while being read at OS boot time (might not be an issue with newer OS/pc) and in some cases it'll break a streaming site or just cause the site to skip the ad slot instead (no ads). Other times a site will think you are using an "ad blocker." It occasionally needs updated as newer ad sites infest the market, and you'll want to back up the default hosts and only use known reputable sites. Also, need to make sure there isn't any sneaky whitelisting of bad sites.

Used to be you could right-click the page, choose inspect drop down, and find the address used by the ad, block it i.e. "ad.com/24253534646/446 = the actual ad" you'd block "ad.com" and everything from them was blocked. Most seem to have work arounds now, but hosts still work.