Google Announces GS4 with Stock Android at Google I/O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Wow! Finally! Still sticking with my galaxy nexus but if my phone dies this will work as a replacement. Never buy anything that's not a Nexus phone!

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Have fun not being able to schedule email sync, or any of the other productivity features that TouchWiz has added on top of Android. TouchWiz is hated by throngs of google acolytes but loved by those that understand the phone is there to serve its master, and not to look pretty or maintain some sort of pure heart.
Google makes great software, but so do a lot of other multibillion-dollar companies.

true, I like scheduled email sync etc etc, but I'll get MY OWN apps to do that the way I WANT THEM DONE, not have someone dictate those for me on what is otherwise a great device... it should be a choice for EVERY andoid phone whether or not you want all the added software from the OEM, or just get stock google android software.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
It is like finally a big brand PC maker will sell you a computer just with updated OS and drivers only. Not like Acer or HP stuff that comes with tons of useless pre-loaded and trial apps...

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011

Yes but an AOSP build , one with proper drivers and kernel can serve as the basis for a lot of builds : Pacman , MiUi , Cyanogen and so on ... some of witch are awesome and with a proper springboard u are cutting back on months and months grind to get something working because the damned manufacturer can't be bothered to give a kernel that compiles or complete drivers (looking at you Samsung and HTC ) But i belive the same as the person above who stated that you should be able to opt out of all the crap they saddle you with if you want. Yes i personally detest Touchwizz... i hate the damned notification drawer, hate the damned end of call screen , i hate the bloody dialer, homescreen concept they use, hate the lockscreen and the fact that i can no longer put my music players controls on it , i hate the 90's style camera software that Samsung employs... those being the few of them.

Ps : i hope the AOSP version will be interflashable with the Original....

I sense a system dump coming very soon...

Trouble with CM is that there are always bugs, coming from not having access to proprietary bits of software (kernels, hardware-specific drivers).

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Sweet... The only problem is that I've gotten used to the pricing on the rest of their Nexus devices. This'll be a nice replacement if I decide to upgrade from my gnexus, to be sure.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
This should be the PERFECT phone for many... super nice screen, nice camera, removable battery, storage slot, pretty good cpu, clean OS, able to get update from Google directly (no need to wait for manufacturer), no carrier lock.. what more can you ask for??

laststop311

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
This device isn't going to be as popular as the techies online are making it seem to be. It is the most perfect phone ever releassed to date. Finally stock android with super fast updates AND an sd card. The problem is the nexus was 300-350. This is 650. The nexus was such a popular off contract phone because the price was so reasonable. Most average people I kno will not cough up 650+ dollars at once for a phone. Now if T-mobile allows you to use the interest free payments to buy the phone 20 a month with 200 dollars down then i could see this phone doing well

CDMA requires registering the phone on that specific network. It's not as easy as the BYOD system in GSM. The carrier has to approve your device, register it on their network so it 'talks' to it, etc. You're at their mercy.
With GSM, all that is done by the SIM card and all you need to have are the correct APN settings for SMS, MMS, data (if the phone's ROM doesn't come with them already).

Status
Not open for further replies.