Google Awards Kansas City, KS With Gigabit Fiber

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidchild

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Ok im a little lost here...Im from Kansas city, MO Which is where the "city" is in our metro area is located. Kansas City, ks is a huge Ghetto(think Watts with rednecks sprinkled in)...are they talking about the Kansas city metro in the State of Kansas(Johnson County, Crimedot county, and Leavenworth county) or are they talking about the city limits of Kansas city, Ks? Are they talking about the greater Kansas city area which is only 1/2 in kansas? or are they talking about the shit hole that is Kansas city, Ks proper? I will say this, IF its only in Kansas city, Ks proper it will fail, because many of the residents of that city limit are at or below the poverty line. Hopefully its on both sides of the state line. There is only 146,000 people in the city limits, it would be silly to not include the whole metro area.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Yay! Now instead of hundreds of gigabytes on data being down/uploaded it's in the hundreds of terrabytes!

Downloading 100TB per month sooner or later you're gonna run out of data to download!

[citation][nom]ProDigit10[/nom]Yay! Now instead of hundreds of gigabytes on data being down/uploaded it's in the hundreds of terrabytes!Downloading 100TB per month sooner or later you're gonna run out of data to download![/citation]
I doubt that considering each year we create more data then the next somewhere around 800 exabytes last year and they project about 1200 exabytes for this year its mind boggling the amount of data is out there.

http://www.catalystsecure.com/blog/2010/11/how-much-data-is-out-there-a-lot-more-than-you-might-think/

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Meanwhile the dinosaurs that make up the Australian Government (and most of our old fart liberal voting citizens) are doing their best to scrap the initiative to build any form of high-speed broadband infrastructure at all in this country. Yep folks, we definitely aren't in Kansas anymore... they've left us all behind!

corporal_linko

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
The funny thing is that they are not telling you that it will have a 250gig cap per month that you will reach in a matter of minutes! Oh never mind that is Charter, Comcast and now ATandT.

f-14

Distinguished
grats for k.c.!
what else have they got to do in kansas city besides watch for tornados and see the wheat grow day by day.
is this only for the kansas side of kansas city or for the missouri side as well?
hats off to google for the start of the downfall of the telecoms!
one ring to rule them all...(well one token ethernet ring that is)one ring to bind them....

Mark Heath

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]So, good news for Google and Kansas.On the other hand, the rest of us have crap speed service. This only proves we can have the service, just no one choose it to serve the good of the public. Just another example of companies working for themselves. (Except Google as of now.)[/citation]
[citation][nom]wawa sxm[/nom]thats american greed....elsewhere in the world speeds are faster and cheaper then the states.[/citation]
Try Australia... :(

sudeshc

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
i here in india dont even get good 2mbps speed.................i can just imagine what would it be like to surf and turf on 1gbps.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
[citation][nom]zooted[/nom]Looks like they misspelled Tampa =[.[/citation]

yeah, i feel your pain, but at least we get to overpay for service with either brighthouse or verizon... i prefer brighthouse, cus at least you get free newsgroup access

glass330

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
YES YES YES YES YES I knew I lived here my whole life for a reason!!
I hope this includes Overland Park Metcalf and 135th FTW!!!!

juili68

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
@liquidchild,

Your bashing of KCK is ridiculous. KCK is everything KCMO wishes it could be right now. Speedway, Soccer Stadium, Legends Shopping, CRIME RATE THAT IS ACTUALLY REDUCING INSTEAD OF GROWING, better public schools, etc...

Get your head out of your ass and drive over here sometime and see for yourself. There's a reason businesses are leaving KCMO in favor of KCK.

liquidchild

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
@julli68
stop being a silly ass. You have one good area and its funded by the Johnson County residents. Ive been over to the legends many times, but the legends is a 2 square mile entertainment district...not a city. Also, you have to be off your ass if you think KCK schools are any where near the schools in Missouri. Piper, Slagle, Washington....those are real gems, do they even have a 90% grad rate? I wont even get into the ACT scores, or the funding issues. Even JOCO schools are not on par with Missouri schools not directly downtown... If Blue Vally cant compete with a Park Hill or a Lee's summit, you really think Piper can...LULZ? If you want to be Johnson counties service provider go for it but don't get things twisted, your one giant McDonalds with a circle road for rednecks...The correct term would be KCMO is everything KCK is trying build and zone like. Keep trying to emulate JOCO and the Northland all you want, you are still "the Dot" no matter how much you polish it.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]pabeader[/nom]it's going to be VERY expensive. like more than $1000 per month[/citation]
why would it be over $1,000 a month for a single residence when they charge around that same price with 4 times the bandwidth for schools and companies.

If people wanted to pay $1,000 a month for gigabit, they'd just ask for special services to get the gigabit speed anyways. Google is bringing fiber to this city at an extremely affordable cost..And i'm guessing it will be just as cheap or maybe slightly more than basic cable.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
My ISP has fibre optic lines all over Canada, but it's only for big busoness and government.
My high school actually had a fibre connection, but ~15 megabits of bandwidth on a single platform could damn near bring the whole school down...

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Who the Hell lives in Kansas City? I don't live in NYC but frankly that's where I would put it. And why would anyone change the name of their city to Google? That's just sad. Also would the city be limited by the fact that the world doesn't all run on fiber and experience slower speeds than theoretically posible? For example if (Heaven forbid) I wanted to download a file from Albania, would I be limited by how fast the connection the person in Albania has?

G

I feel like when they say, "Kansas City, KS" they really mean "Johnson County". I mean, that's where the people who can actually afford this live.

Status
Not open for further replies.