Google Banning Most Plugins in Chrome Starting Jan 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiaSin

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013

Mozilla is doing it too, and sooner. I doubt we will see all plugins going away anyway, anyone that really cares about their plugin will re-code it on the new API system and all will be golden.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Funny that Google uses the architecture extensively and the builtin flash plugin doesn't. Google argues it's due to crashes but I've found Chrome crashes on it's own fine when trying to open pages with flash.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Exactly Dyseman, I did not realize how clean it keeps most sites until I do a fresh install on a system and browse a familiar site without plugins. All the sudden I'm bombarded with pop ups, hover pops, and ads coming from all over the place. If an ad just annoys the hell out of me, what makes these people think I'm going patronize their product or site?

EBT Technologies

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
If this is what Google will be doing, and you want to avoid banning to certain addons or plugins; our advice:
"keep your old chrome browser with the old already-install plugins and addons." see?

EBT Technologies

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
If this is what Google will be doing, and you want to avoid banning to certain addons or plugins; our advice:
"keep your old chrome browser with the old already-install plugins and addons." see?

If by any chance you can't have AdBlock working on Chrome any more (eventhough I don't thinkg AdBlock uses the NPAPI), just switch to Firefox: AdBlock+ is an extension (i.e. it uses the Firefox extension API, which is radically different from the NPAPI in that it runs inside the browser's sandbox using the browser's resources and is not an independent process), not a plugin.

anonymous_user

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
This article is talking about plugins like Flash Player, Java, Adobe PDF Reader plugin, etc. This will not affect extensions like AdBlock Plus. Learn the difference!

Dyseman

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
This article is talking about plugins like Flash Player, Java, Adobe PDF Reader plugin, etc. This will not affect extensions like AdBlock Plus. Learn the difference!

Ah, ok then. But still... leave my adblocks alone! Extension or Plugin or Scriplet or whatever LOL I don't much care about the others really.

programmin

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013

What do you mean? The Unity Integration plugin is only available in Ubuntu, not Windows.

Not the Unity window manager, the unity game engine.

teknobug

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
Looks like a good time to move to Waterfox.

Yeah, most of us uses adblock because of shit like Youtube and annoying sites with 50 flash ads around the page.

Status
Not open for further replies.