Google Chairman Foresees Bright Future For Surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbfelterbush

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
LOL.. Some people. I realize he is speaking from a lofty position so his Opinion seems to carry weight. However, anyone who looks at the technology industry and doesn't include Microsoft and perhaps IBM in their top four list is probably rather foolish.

Microsoft has Many platforms that they have at their disposal when entering the mobile market. Any Naysayer is forgetting the natural integration that Windows 8 will offer with Windows Phone 8 their leading living room entertainment platforms. Including the 360, as well as the Next console and soon to be Microsoft Embedded Smart TVs. Microsoft is moving forward with the execution of a complete ecosystem.

IBM drives the back-end and has allowed us to move this far. But perhaps they belong on a different list altogether.

-CB

I am pretty sure Microsoft has a much larger impact on the technology sector than Facebook. Eric, can you please tell me what real impact Facebook has had on the technology sector other than adding another layer of communication that can be fulfilled by its predecessor i.e. email. Sounds to me like Eric Schmidt is a real winner. However I do hope Surface works out for MS.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Facebook above MS really? No but seriously I want to see the Surface become a success. It looks really good and W8 will work fantastic on it but my fear is the price tag. I don't think $399+ for RT will do much, if MS wants to really get into this market they'll have to sell the devices at cost..maybe $299 for RT and $499 or $599 for Pro (maybe not 499 but 599 is more realistic). This will bring a bigger audience and more app developers to guarantee they'll recoup the costs and gain profit since people will be purchasing from the W8 store

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]bllue[/nom]Facebook above MS really? No but seriously I want to see the Surface become a success. It looks really good and W8 will work fantastic on it but my fear is the price tag. I don't think $399+ for RT will do much [/citation]

I agree about RT right now. But I don't think it really matters long term.

I don't see the ARM system of chips making it long term against Intel. When all of the Windows tablets including the low end ones, are using x86 chip sets from Intel and running real Win 8, then I think MS will do much much better in the tablet and even phone space.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
he isn't ready to include Microsoft into the "gang of four" firms (Google, Apple, Amazon and Facebook) that spearhead the technology market.
:lol: never thought i'd say this, but what an ass...

The company that has 90% of the consumer OS market share, at least 50% of the global console share (i'm guessing on this one) and is making inroads into anti-viruses, image processing, tablets, phones, etc...isn't a part of the big 4? That they didn't spear-head technology?

And to hell with that. Intel??? AMD??? Nvidia?? Hitachi? Seagate? and most of all, IBM?????????? Even ARM.

jankeke

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
*Google executive chairman Eric Schmidt believes Microsoft's forthcoming Surface tablet could make its mark on the market, but only if the product works.*

No, surely not ! People won't care if it works or not. (sarcasm)

But seriously, among all the people I know many are looking forward to Win 8 mobile devices (especially the Lumia 920). So I think the Win 8 tablets and phones will do well. There is definitely room for those devices on the market.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]cbfelterbush[/nom]LOL.. Some people. I realize he is speaking from a lofty position so his Opinion seems to carry weight. However, anyone who looks at the technology industry and doesn't include Microsoft and ...[/citation]
Check how badly fares IE as far as standards go and STFU...

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]cbfelterbush[/nom]LOL.. Some people. I realize he is speaking from a lofty position so his Opinion seems to carry weight. However, anyone who looks at the technology industry and doesn't include Microsoft and perhaps IBM in their top four list is probably rather foolish. Microsoft has Many platforms that they have at their disposal when entering the mobile market. Any Naysayer is forgetting the natural integration that Windows 8 will offer with Windows Phone 8 their leading living room entertainment platforms. Including the 360, as well as the Next console and soon to be Microsoft Embedded Smart TVs. Microsoft is moving forward with the execution of a complete ecosystem. IBM drives the back-end and has allowed us to move this far. But perhaps they belong on a different list altogether. -CB[/citation]

microsoft at this point on a consumer level, is almost disposable.
we dont need it any more.

on a professional level, not everything works for linux. but if the consumer market changes to liunx which they could easily do now, you will see allot of software start to nativly support it.

valve is pushing for linux too, and if games get ported over... i see no reason to stick with windows anymore as a gamer.

microsoft has a very fragile monoply at this point, many people dont like the new direction and it could be the tipping point from windows to linux, expecialy if microsoft doesnt change it, or if nothing compelling comes from metro.

but lets look at google, facebook, amazon, and apple

apple has a fan base that thinks its cool, so they get it, and thats it, people think those people have it right and go with them, and apple is the only company that makes hardware so flawed, have the balls to say you are holding it wrong, and people accept that as an answer. that says something.

google is a serch engine so ingrained in us at this point that google it is a common enough term that everyone knows what it means.

facebook, as much as i dont like it, and as much as many dont, has somwhere around 800 million people useing it (higher number, yea, but i am thinking of fake accounts too) and that says something. that is the kind of large user base that stays on top because its a large userbase. if wow didnt charge you money to play per month, you would see it there too, and you did for quite a while, it got so big that everyone played it, and no one went to other mmos because they werent big... even if a new social network comes by that is better, it wont dominate like facebook.

and amazon, they litterlay reinvented the book, they than made the 200$ tablet a reality. not to mention they have a massive retail enviorment to help them if any venture they have fails.

now someone mentioned ibm.
while i wont deny they are big, and they play the long game. on a day by day basis, they make no visible difference in my life. i dont ibm a word, i dont shop on ibm, i dont hear about consumer ibm products, and i done hear people wasting more time on ibm attending to fake animals they they let real pets die. ibm has a place, but not on a consumer level.

G

games wont get ported to Linux...what developer in their right mind is going to build games for an OS with no market share....that valve guy is deluded.

to be honest - MS gets it, sure they were late to the game on getting mobility right - but they are the only company that has the all of the pre-existing building blocks to wrap up every part of the consumer AND business experience from phone, PC, tablet, TV, and other devices that use embedded OS and then linking the lot through internet based services...

most people think of MS with a short term view...if they can get it right, 3-5 years from now with all of the above pieces working right, they will own the market.

jankeke

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
@ alidan

All what you say is true enough but in the article it says :

" ... he said he isn't ready to include Microsoft into the "gang of four" firms (Google, Apple, Amazon and Facebook) that spearhead the technology market. "

How is Facebook spearheading the technology ? Apart from a website (no matter how huge) and an app, I haven't seen much.

Maybe they should call it the "gang of three" or include another one.

PS : I wouldn't include IBM either.

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
wow, apparently nobody has reading comprehension. eric said: "gang of four" firms that spearhead the technology market.

*spearhead*. as in, come out with new innovative products. microsoft's cash cow is windows, which hasn't been innovative since 1995. the xbox, zune, bing, surface tablet and even windows phones are all me-too products. microsoft has been struggling to stay relevant for over 10 years now. they don't come up with new ideas, they let their competitors come up with something new and then try to compete with it after it's popular.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
[citation][nom]tolham[/nom]wow, apparently nobody has reading comprehension. eric said: "gang of four" firms that spearhead the technology market.*spearhead*. as in, come out with new innovative products...[/citation]

Before you start criticizing other people for their reading comprehension, you might want to check your own. Spearhead as it is used implies leadership. 'Spearhead' does not mean anything as specific as innovation. For example, one can spearhead innovation, which would mean leading in innovation. Now you can argue what leading in technology means, but if you're talking about who is in a position of leadership in technology, you'd have to include MSFT, whether you like them or not or if they've been particularly innovative or not, because they are the dominating force in personal and business computing, a major part of the gaming industry, and have started to build up more of a presence in the mobile sector. Love or hate them, MSFT is a leader in the tech market.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jankeke[/nom]@ alidanAll what you say is true enough but in the article it says :" ... he said he isn't ready to include Microsoft into the "gang of four" firms (Google, Apple, Amazon and Facebook) that spearhead the technology market. "How is Facebook spearheading the technology ? Apart from a website (no matter how huge) and an app, I haven't seen much.Maybe they should call it the "gang of three" or include another one.PS : I wouldn't include IBM either.[/citation]

manufacture technology, or be used by so many people on such a wide scale that not having facebook integration on some level is seen as a bad thing by many.

granted i dont like them, wish they would fold, but i cant deny the impact they have on everything.

agentbb007

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
I can't wait for the MSFT Surface. I have an iPad 2 and an iPhone 4S but every time I travel I bring my iPad, iPhone and a heavy dell Laptop because I have to use Remote Desktop to access my PC at work. I have an RDP app on my iPad but using that for more than the most basic tasks gets quite tedious and inefficient.
The 32 GB Surface running Windows RT looks to be exactly what I need in order to leave my Laptop at home. I need a light tablet (

agentbb007

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
Whoops it didn't like my less than sign, here is the rest of my wonderful post.

(less than 700 g) that allows me to use Remote Desktop and hook up a mouse and keyboard. That way it can be a super light Laptop with a mouse and keyboard when I need to use Remote Desktop but on the plane it can be used like my iPad, a small device to play games, watch movies and listen to music.
I will definitely be purchasing one of these when it’s released, can’t wait!

To everyone who is confused: The gang of 4 is a group that Schmidt believes brought technology to the masses, and I think he is dead on with those 4 companies for bringing products and services to the mass public. These are not innovators of hardware, or (with the exception of Google) major software innovators, but they have packaged hardware and software into designs and price points that have brought highly technical devices (like tablets and smartphones) to a place where someone non-technical like my mother-in-law can use them without issue.

While MS has been a huge player in getting technology useful and stable (especially on the side of programming standards), they have failed to capture the attention of the general public. Yes, their products are on most computers, but fewer and fewer people go into a store looking for a computer that has a specific version of Windows. They buy a computer, and it just happens to have Windows on it because it is the 'standard'. With WP8/Win8/xBoxNext coming with a unified OS model I think it will continue this trend. People will not go out of their way to find MS products; they will go buy products that happen to have their OS on it.

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009

microsoft isn't leading, they're following, which i clearly explained my post. in what market has microsoft lead the way in the last 10 years or even longer? windows OS was a copy of xerox and apple and has only been updated to match the times. the xbox was only created after other companies pioneered the console market. the zune was only created after apple's success with the ipod. bing was only created after google search took off. the surface tablet was only created after the ipad took off. and windows phones were only created after other smartphones took off. i ask again, in what market has microsoft lead the way in the last 10 years or even longer? microsoft aren't spearheading anything, they only play catch-up. that's what eric was clearly talking about by specifically using the word "spearhead".

Status
Not open for further replies.