Question Google Chrome bookmarks experiences

Apr 4, 2019
Does anyone use Google Chrome bookmarks as their bookmarking tool? What do you like about it and what don't you like about it?
Is it reliable? Does it do sync well?

I'm thinking about using it instead of Linkman Pro which is a special bookmarking software for Windows but although it has a ton of bookmark features I find it pretty difficult to use and I have some pop-ups appearing frequently with error messages. And I contacted their support about these 2 issues but I haven't got any reply.
In the past I used Xmarks extention in both Chrome and Firefox and I was quity happy with that but then Xmarks announced they will stop. So then I kind of switched to Linkman but while it's OK I have some troubles with it so I'm looking for an alternative.

If your question is, does it reflect your bookmarks automatically on any machine you sign in to Chrome, I have faced some issues with that. The good thing is, there are options to export/import your bookmarks which is kinda alternative to the above issue.

Other than that, I have been using it for ages without any issues whatsoever.

Reactions: Berrander
Apr 4, 2019
Does anyone know the folder location on Windows 10 where Google Chrome stores its bookmarks file? I researched this online and Google says it's on this next location but I can't find such location on my PC.
are located in ...\Chrome\User Data\Default\Bookmarks
(full extensions might look like C:\Documents and Settings\<USER NAME>\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Bookmarks
OR
C:\Users\USER NAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default)

Why do they use different folder names than on Windows 10?
I can only see a Documents folder on my C drive but it's empty.

And what is the difference between the 'Bookmarks menu' folder and the 'Bookmarks toolbar' folder in Google Chrome bookmarks? Are they both not just different folders in your Google Chrome's bookmarks' file? Why would they have 2 of these folders?

In the past I found that I had a lot of double folders and bookmarks in Chrome's bookmarks. Perhaps a syncing bug in Chrome. But I don't know if that's still the case or if they've fixed it already.

Apr 4, 2019
I believe Chrome used to store the bookmarks file as sqlite, but it appears to be stored as JSON now.

Path: C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

File: Bookmarks
I went to this folder:
Path: C:\Users\%username%
but there I can't see any folder called 'AppData' or something like it. I checked all folders in that location but none are the one.

When Chrome exports your bookmarks as an HTML file, does it take that JSON db file and transforms it to an HTML file? And when it imports it, does it transform it to a JSON db file? And what will happen if you import more than 1 exported bookmarks files into Chrome?

You need to enable hidden file/folder options before you search as the "AppData" folder is hidden by default...
https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4028316/windows-view-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-10

Once you have done that, just click on the start menu and search the path directly...

C:\Users\UserName(Your Computer Name)\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default
or
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

This will automatically take you to the relevant folder. Inside that folder, there should be "Bookmarks" and "Bookmarks.bak".
Not sure about the Bookmark Menu, but the Toolbar is the Bookmarks bar at the top of your browser, if you have enabled it...
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-always-show-the-google-chrome-bookmarks-bar-4103621

Apr 4, 2019
Thanks, I did what you recommend and checked "show hidden files, folders and drives". I can see those folders now but I can't see a Bookmarks file anywhere. I checked the contents of all those folders I found there but no Bookmarks file to see.

I just want to know what happens when Chrome imports and exports bookmarks files. Will it store all imported bookmarks in the same database file and so you might end up with having some/several bookmarks double? How does this work?
Can you create a new bookmarks/database file and select it somewhere so it will be used by Chrome?
And can you select which bookmarks/database file Chrome should use to avoid double/duplicate bookmarks or can you only use the only one that it has?

Apr 4, 2019
Thanks, I did what you recommend and checked "show hidden files, folders and drives". I can see those folders now but I can't see a Bookmarks file anywhere. I checked the contents of all those folders I found there but no Bookmarks file to see.

I just want to know what happens when Chrome imports and exports bookmarks files. Will it store all imported bookmarks in the same database file and so you might end up with having some/several bookmarks double? How does this work?

Ok, so the Bookmarks file is the one which has your Bookmarks saved. It is the file Chrome uses to refer to your saved pages. Now this is not the same as your export file. When you export your bookmarks, it will give you an option to save the file at your desired location in .html format. These two files are separate and devoid of any duplicacy.
Not sure what the confusion is about...
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/96816?hl=en

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS