Question Google chrome crashes with over 200 tabs open, do I need more RAM?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Satearn

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2015
I'm running an i5-8400 with 16 gigs or RAM and EVO970 NVME, windows 10

When I open over 200 tabs in chrome, it crashes, my RAM displays 100% with Xmeters when this happens.

So obviously running out of RAM.

But why doesn't Chrome dip into pagefile and crashes?

Should I buy more RAM, 16 more? 48 More?

Will buying more RAM prevent chrome from crashing, the tasks and workflow I do requires about 500 tabs

Thanks

Satearn

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2015
Yeah, I guess I didn't even get that far in reading the OP. I guess I didn't see much reason to when the first three lines told me pretty much everything I needed to know initially.

I agree, because so far, nobody has been able to posit a legitimate argument for needing anything from 100 tabs and up in all the threads like this we've seen before. If there's a legitimate reason, I'd want to know the use case as well because so far there's never been anything even approaching legitimate need for that.
Case is prospecting for defective websites and populating CRM with the data, some of it can be done with scrapper, some Python, and some with CURL, but some of it needs to be done in the browser, the responsive test for instance, even with Google API, I'm limited to 1 request per 100 seconds...so faster to do it manually!

Satearn

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2015
Hold on! At this very moment I am down to 755 tabs with the goal of shrinking 50 a day. Some days I go over, some days they grow.

For the things I do it IS necessary and yes, it overflows. On many days I just can't get to enough of them and simply run out of time! It would take way way way too long to explain what I am doing with all of them and why.... Some other day...

Having said all of that there is an alternative for the OP: Run a single threaded browser instead. Chrome may be the biggest browser- and they did a masterful job of extinguishing the competition- but it isn't the best. It' isn't even close.

Try running Pale Moon. Not only is it single threaded- which means you could run thousands of tabs if you so chose. The trend is for browsers to be Chrome clones and go multi-threaded and bye-bye system resources!

Now, as indicated above, not all tabs are created equally and some of the most heavy ones currently are YouTube- even with HTML5 toggled on/off.

It is possible to lighten many page loads by toggling things like scripts, XSS, plugins(such as Flash, Java..), cookies... When Flash was more of a thing I regularly lightened the load by about 25% just by shutting it off.

Why has nobody heard of Pale Moon? The #1 problem with it is it's developers. Wow can they program! Their personalities...? IMO a totally different kind of WOW!

Anybody who has ever watched Shark Tank will get this one. Sometimes somebody creates something new and wonderful. Then the more they speak the more it becomes obvious that as long as the creator is in charge the product is doomed.

When you think of PM think of what Firefox used to be. If you want to go truly open source and not a lousy Chrome clone go with it.
Does palemoon have an extension to open multiple links? Looking for it, can't find it..

Satearn

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2015
While fast, NVMe storage is still much much slower than system RAM.

I suspect your issue is twofold.
  1. Not enough actual RAM
  2. Trying to open several hundred at once, and running out of CPU resources.
CPU usage is low, runs at 100% until tabs open, but the drops to standard 5-10% idle, so what I do is open all the tabs, and wait till CPU slows down, then I can work on other desktop an run macro on Virtual machine with chrome open with 100+ tabs.

Seems to be working now since I increase the pagefile, it was set at 2400 mb, I increased it to 24000, 10 times more...is this why it doesn't crash anymore?

Satearn

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2015
CPU usage is low, runs at 100% until tabs open, but the drops to standard 5-10% idle, so what I do is open all the tabs, and wait till CPU slows down, then I can work on other desktop an run macro on Virtual machine with chrome open with 100+ tabs.

Seems to be working now since I increase the pagefile, it was set at 2400 mb, I increased it to 24000, 10 times more...is this why it doesn't crash anymore?
As I type this, I'm running a virtual machine with 8 gigs for guest and 8 gigs for host, guest is running a macro with 233 tabs open, my combined RAM usage is 12gigs out of 15.7...not sure what is going on!

D

Deleted member 14196

LOL nobody needs that many tabs open I don’t care what you’re doing there’s Gotta be a better way. I wouldn’t listen to anybody who said they had that many tabs open it’s impossible to navigate and know what you’re doing and where you’re going

If you manually scroll the the tabs, tab by tab, then you have yourself shown that 200+ tabs is unnecessary. There is ZERO reason you could not instead do 100 tabs at a time, cutting the resource needs in half, and probably completely eliminate any problems. Again, even in this use case there is not a legitimate argument for "needing" 200 tabs. You are "choosing" 200 as the amount to filter, and doing so subjectively. Nothing is saying it needs to be 200 except you. Cut the number of tabs and eliminate the problem.

Since you are doing this manually, it's not increasing the amount of time necessary, only the number of batches you have to process in order to complete the same number of sites or pages.

USAFRet

Titan

Leave the pagefile at System Managed. Let the OS do it.

Yes, the CPU is at 100% while opening and getting the content for all these tabs.
That's when it crashes...the system runs out of resources.

Also, since this is presumably a money making concept....investing in a couple other physical PC's would 100% fix your issue.
Share the brain power among a few systems. Don't need big GPU, don't need a monitor each.
You could probably build 3 or 4 systems and stay under $1000.

Each system would be seen as just another window via TeamViewer or RDC.

Reactions: Darkbreeze

USAFRet

Titan
3 of these, to spread the load:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($87.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team - Vulcan 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($45.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Case: DIYPC - P48 ATX Mid Tower Case ($33.93 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12III 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.74 @ Amazon)
Total: $337.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-19 12:22 EDT-0400

Satearn

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2015
3 of these, to spread the load:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($87.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team - Vulcan 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($45.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Case: DIYPC - P48 ATX Mid Tower Case ($33.93 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12III 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.74 @ Amazon)
Total: $337.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-19 12:22 EDT-0400
Thanks, that's what I've been doing with 2 other laptops, but Teamview is buggy, sometimes wakeup from Lan works, sometimes it doesn't...crashes, pop ups etc...

RDP was my previous solution, but got sick of dealing with unreliability...but now having problems with virtual box...just about near getting whole new sets with own keyboard, mice and monitors...but what a pain that would be!

Satearn

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2015
I use TeamViewer and VirtualBox daily.
No problems.
I use TeamViewer and VirtualBox daily.
No problems.
Thanks, yes, I guess I'll go back to Teamviewer solution I guess but is there anything else out there you can recommend? All I need is wakeup on LAN to work reliably, no bells and whistles, simply control the other computer, no chat, no collaboration, no file sharing, no nothing , plain jane remote control

Flouro Flibboflasm

Commendable
Feb 23, 2017
Does palemoon have an extension to open multiple links? Looking for it, can't find it..

Yes, but many are old FF extensions that still work on it. 3 essentials are Session Manager, Tab Utilities Phoenix and Copy URLs Expert.

LOL nobody needs that many tabs open I don’t care what you’re doing there’s Gotta be a better way. I wouldn’t listen to anybody who said they had that many tabs open it’s impossible to navigate and know what you’re doing and where you’re going

You don't have to listen. For those who want to learn something there is a massive productivity hack that will sometimes inflate your tabs- and for the very unusual things that I do with tech it is essential. It is how it is done.

I have my Pale Moon set(through the TUP extension) to open new tabs by right-clicking. Why? This is BIG!!

Take a favorite site. The normal process is to find the articles you find interesting and one-by-one read them and then go back to the main site. That process is slow, cumbersome and confusing. If there were 20 articles and you found 10 interesting few will make it through going back and forth 10 times.

The better way is to open them all as new tabs and then as you finish each article shut it down and go on to the next one. This then whittles it back down to the original one.

Virtually nobody has the need for the type of consumption that I do. Whatever one's browsing needs are this can give you a MASSIVE boost.

Flouro Flibboflasm

Commendable
Feb 23, 2017
Sounds overly self important to me. Seems like just another way of doing the same thing, just in a different order. Besides which, there is a huge difference between 20 tabs and 200 tabs.

I do this as a business, so yes, this is important. Every tab there is for a reason.

I don't tell you how to make your way in the world. Please don't tell me how to make mine.

I do this as a business, so yes, this is important. Every tab there is for a reason.

I don't tell you how to make your way in the world. Please don't tell me how to make mine.

I didn't try to tell you how to do anything. Nor would I care to.

Sometimes it is really unfortunate this is a family friendly site, and that I am somebody who tries to adhere to the guidelines.

Flouro Flibboflasm

Commendable
Feb 23, 2017
Again, some of you are telling others what is reasonable for yourselves. I have no idea what is on your screen(s) and what you do with it. That is your business and I hope that it works for the things that you do.

Please don't attack what you don't know.

Some websites seem to take/occupy ~100 MB of RAM, others much less, but, on average, lets say 5 GB with 1 tab, and and additional 1 GB per 10 tabs to simplify...it does not take a math major to see that with 10 times that many you would be pushing 16 GB with as few as 100-140 tabs based on what I've seen.

I'll leave the whole 'I need 200 tabs' debate for others to enjoy... :)

D

Deleted member 14196

RDP reliability issues? I use it every single day, all day to many pcs, not one issue. I often remote in from home to work as well, all on RDP. OP must be doing it wrong. whatever.