Question Google Chrome Download Speed

Mywifidoodoohelp

Prominent
Feb 15, 2019
On my desktop when I tried to download a 3.7 GB file off of google chrome it was downloading unusually slow and said it would take 1 hour. The download speed from my desktop's connection according to speedtest.net is 90 megabits per second. When I tried downloading the same file from my laptop (which happens to be in a different location), the speed was even slower on speedtest.net (around 40 megabits per second) yet the file downloaded in less than 5 minutes.

I tried restarting my desktop and disabling chrome extensions and nothing fixed the issue. My desktop has better specs than my laptop and is newer. Hence, it is typically faster in most ways. Even if this issue cannot be fixed, I was wondering why this might be happening.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Mywifidoodoohelp

Prominent
Feb 15, 2019
test the laptop at the home office?
I just did. In the office the laptop had a faster wifi download speed on speedtest.net than where it was previously (it's now around 90 megabits/s) and it still downloaded that same 3.7 gb file off of chrome in 5-10 minutes (the desktop still takes 1 hour).

I am not sure but it seems like the slow desktop speed has something to due with the chrome settings on that computer or some issue with the hardware. Even if that is the case I dont know how i should go about it.

Mywifidoodoohelp

Prominent
Feb 15, 2019
try another browser?
i tried ms edge and it was the same 1 hour issue. besides, even if another browser worked faster, im wondering why my laptop (which is older, has worse specs, is generally slower, and has a worse wifi connection) is downloading something in 5 minutes (as it should) but my desktop (much newer with better specs and a quicker wifi connection) is taking around an hour.