Google Chrome Gets Virtual Reality Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
These are actually quite valid questions, which come up from time to time. Rather than answer them here, I'm going to suggest the VR Forum add a FAQ sticky post.

For now, I'll just say that it sounds like you haven't tried it. It seems to be the case that seeing is believing, with VR. If there's some way you can try it, that's probably the best way to answer your questions about the difference between screen-based gaming and using a HMD.

Also, there are lower-cost HMDs on the way. But room-scale adds complexity, equipment, and therefore cost. Nobody is yet making (much) money from VR, except maybe the GPU vendors.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Anyway, the main thing I wanted to say was that I'm disappointed the article wasn't announcing PC VR HMD support, in Chrome. Yeah, it's great that I can see these experiences in a window, but I'd really like a way to experience Daydream (or whatever standard these experiences use) on my PC VR system.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Why is VR a thing compared to an "immersive" curved ultrawide display? With VR you get something completely different. You get a real 3 dimensional experience. Like bit_user said. If you can't imagine what that would be like, in comparison with a large monitor, you should really find a place where you can try it out.

Damon_10

Commendable
Feb 10, 2017
Please, just try a room scale VR experience and see if you still feel the same. There are no words that make you feel what the difference is.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
VR is really about trying to fool your brain into thinking you're inside of a virtual world. Maybe you're not interested in feeling any more immersion than you can already get with a screen. That's fine, but some of us (including the editors of this site) are very interested in VR and AR.

With that said, it's starting to sound a bit like you're here with an anti-VR agenda. If that's the case, I'd suggest staying out of the comments on VR news items and other VR-related threads. Otherwise, please don't attack answers you don't like. If something isn't clear to you, then ask more questions but don't lash out at those who take the time to answer you.

fireaza

Distinguished
May 9, 2011

Wow, seriously? Are you seriously saying that looking at a flat, 2D screen is just as immersive as a technology that both surrounds your entire field of view and allows you to look around in 360 degrees?

Aside from it being REALLY obvious you've never tried VR, everything you're saying makes it sound like you know that you can't afford VR, so you don't want it to exist and never wanted it anyway. Sour grapes much?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Some people just don't like the idea of having to wear a HMD.

I certainly don't want to force VR on anyone. But, there's no risk of that happening, anytime soon.

For the time being, let's not rain on anyone's parade.

Status
Not open for further replies.