Google Chrome Not Booting

Thranton

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
Hey everyone,
I've been having this issue for a little while now and it's starting to really annoy me. Google Chrome my preferred browsing tool has become unusable after a reboot from sleep mode. What happens is that when I go and click on the shortcut, it takes roughly 10-15 minutes to load. Once it has loaded it won't function. I.E Type in facebook.com or gmail.com and it'll just spin and spin and spin eventually giving a timed out error.

The only way to fix this issue as of right now is to restart the computer. I've had this exact same problem with ITunes before and what seemed to fix it was a complete re-install, so I am going to try that right now but I'd thought I would start this discussion now in the mean time.

My system specs are as follows:

i7-6700k
Trident Z 32gb @ 3200MHZ DDR4
MSI 980Ti x 2 in Sli Configuration
3 x 1 TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD
1 TB WD Black HDD
Asus Maximus Hero VIII

Solution

Thing about Chrome is... it preloads itself on boot. If there is a corruption in the program... the preloading could work against it. I turned that off on my version.

If you have problems with reinstalling Chrome.. it's possible you may have to manually delete Chrome's Hidden Folders at AppData\Local\Google\Chrome. You have to go to Folder Options to SHOW the hidden folder before gaining access to it. In fact, I'm willing to bet that's where the corruption...

Thranton

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
In google chrome? 0 as I can't open it..
In IE because I have to use it 2..

I've uninstalled the program (which for some reason took forever), and am now trying to download it but it's stuck at 0.

I guess I should also say my internet is 100mbs down and 10mbs up

SBMfromLA

Distinguished

Thing about Chrome is... it preloads itself on boot. If there is a corruption in the program... the preloading could work against it. I turned that off on my version.

If you have problems with reinstalling Chrome.. it's possible you may have to manually delete Chrome's Hidden Folders at AppData\Local\Google\Chrome. You have to go to Folder Options to SHOW the hidden folder before gaining access to it. In fact, I'm willing to bet that's where the corruption originates from.

Solution

Thranton

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013

Thanks for the answer. Where is this preloading option you speak of? I can disable that and try from there. I've also ran into a problem with a external hard-drive, unsure if its related but I went to go safely remove it and it stated that it was currently being used by something. So I just unplugged it and probably just a coincidence but my download for google chrome started working.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It must be a registry setting as its not in the start up folder. If you go into advanced settings of chrome there is a tick box to allow or stop chrome running in background when closed - that isn't exactly what he meant though. It might be prefetch resources to make pages load faster but one of my add ons disables that for security reasons.

I know on win 7 it used to add something to start up folder but I have not seen it on Win 10