Google: Chrome OS 'Business Edition' for 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Secure hey, really, are you sure about that, Is chrome OS not a cloud based OS based around google docs ect, all info server stored, Oh wait what was that article about Chinese hackers!!!!

I smell a poo!!!!!

joex444

Distinguished
Why wouldn't Google try to convince business users that they can use netbooks? What most business people actually do on computers is trivial at best.

In my field, computers mostly run simulations or control some kind of device with either a laser or X-Ray device connected at some point. These are clearly not netbook friendly.

G

hey joex444, when you said "What most business people actually do on computers is trivial at best.", are you referring to 3rd world countries? My office (and most people's I know) are migrating to a "paperless" work flow, which requires a computer to do almost all work. Get out of the stone age dude.

jsm6746

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
in a typical office environment, the majority of staff only need an office suite and an internet connection. an os focused on this could really cut costs, although i'm not sure why you wouldn't go for another tried and true linux os with openoffice... and there are plenty of security concerns with allowing your employees to host files on someone elses servers...

i believe this is a forward looking os... in which google is hoping 5-10 years from now everyone will be on the cloud and they will have an os built around that...

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]greg224[/nom]hey joex444, when you said "What most business people actually do on computers is trivial at best.", are you referring to 3rd world countries? My office (and most people's I know) are migrating to a "paperless" work flow, which requires a computer to do almost all work. Get out of the stone age dude.[/citation]

There's that and most major corporations are like a glacier when it comes to change. IT would yell at me for not using IE. And it's a "Young" company

G

Cloud computing sounds like a great idea. It's always bothered me that I can use my computer when the internet is down. It's about time that feature was removed.

G-Systems

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]duff1234[/nom]Cloud computing sounds like a great idea. It's always bothered me that I can use my computer when the internet is down. It's about time that feature was removed.[/citation]

Maybe the first "Thumbs-up" I've given for sarcasm. Wonderful execution. I love Google, and I look forward to installing Chrome OS (dual boot with Win7 b/c of the situation you described and because MS has more games available to it); but damn--that was great! You must have some practice... :)

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]moricon[/nom]Secure hey, really, are you sure about that, Is chrome OS not a cloud based OS based around google docs ect, all info server stored, Oh wait what was that article about Chinese hackers!!!!I smell a poo!!!!![/citation]
You do?
Maybe you should go and see if your toilet is backing up.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Not liking the cloud concept. If your network goes down you are dead in the water. At least on localized systems, some data could could still be entered and stored on the machine until things could be restored.

G

[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]You do?Maybe you should go and see if your toilet is backing up.[/citation]

Ummm yes you are right, It was, I am connected to the Google Pipeline you see!!!

wilburyan

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2006
[citation][nom]greg224[/nom]hey joex444, when you said "What most business people actually do on computers is trivial at best.", are you referring to 3rd world countries? My office (and most people's I know) are migrating to a "paperless" work flow, which requires a computer to do almost all work. Get out of the stone age dude.[/citation]

If your goal is "paperless"... a powerful machine isn't in your list of requirements. You don't need a workstation class machine to run Outlook and Word :p.

envolva

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I wonder what exactly stops you from installing a cloud in one of your business server. This way you can keep the information secure and updated between all employees.

But I digress, with every Google app I know “calling back home” with personal information I could never install a Google OS at my office. Maybe when MS distribute their cloud product this can boost productivity with shared files and central version control.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
well, unfortunately in the US, only T1 connection would be good enough for Cloud OS...

I just don't see how home dsl or cable connections at our speeds could make cloud os usable.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I can count the businesses who will be deploying this heavily on one hand. Actually I can count the number of businesses without either of my hands.

Jenoin

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
You guys talking about word and excel must have misunderstood him. He means that he works at a company that used to run large simulations for oil & gas exploration by hand with pencil and paper...

davendork

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
I'm NOT down with what Google is trying to do here with phones, OSes, my programs, my email and my personal data. IMHO if Microsoft was trying to do this, people would be calling foul. Computing in the cloud will never be what I want in total.

G-Systems

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]davendork[/nom]I'm NOT down with what Google is trying to do here with phones, OSes, my programs, my email and my personal data. IMHO if Microsoft was trying to do this, people would be calling foul. Computing in the cloud will never be what I want in total.[/citation]

This argument against the "cloud" is unfounded. If you use web-based email--like an innumerable amount of people do--you're using the "cloud"... If you get information regarding anything on the internet--you're using the "cloud"... Commenting on this board in anyway that gives access to what you've said, you're using the "cloud"... Online banking? Cloud...

This paranoia is unfounded if you find any use in the internet. If anything, this focus on internet storage (ahem, the cloud) presents other, more creative ways to use the internet. Why be strapped to your PC when you could theoretically lower the cost of hardware (i.e. RAM & Hard Disk Capacity) and have more productivity?

High Quality gaming may never be rendered satisfactorily through Flash or HTML5 or Silverlight... Cool... But, let's be serious--this is good stuff...

...when will the conspiracy theories stop???

Status
Not open for further replies.