Google Co-Founder: Facebook is "Doing a Really Bad Job on Their Products"

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

"For us to succeed, is it necessary for some other company to fail? No"

Yes, that's exactly it. The only reason people use Facebook is because everyone uses it. As soon as the critical mass of enough friends is on something else, then you switch. Why would I use a new social network that no one I know is using?

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
If Larry and his guys plan on promoting Google+ by bad mouthing Facebook, they're going to fail miserably. FFS, just assume G+ won't be able to compete anytime soon and stop pointing fingers around, maybe people will check it out.

snwkill

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
I have a feeling Facebook's board of directors is going to drive FB into the ground... It is already going down that road with paying money to send people you don't know messages to their regular account.

All they can do is position themselves to pick up users just like FB did with Myspace

jarred125

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]He's throwing stones? Really? Does he realize how Google+ is completely inferior to Facebook on all important metrics.[/citation]

And what metric is that? Total amount of facebook users who post their restroom visits or where they went shopping today? Total number of funny cat pictures or redneck jokes?

G+ seems (for me) to have superior content in general.

imispgh

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
Look up the Google patent losses especially the one where Vringo crushed them regarding their main search approach. Turns out Google stole much of that from Peter Lang at Lycos.

Me thinks Mr. Page doth drink too much of his own bathwater.

What if Facebook bought Vringo and used their search patent to compete with you?

jarred125

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
[citation][nom]imispgh[/nom]Look up the Google patent losses especially the one where Vringo crushed them regarding their main search approach. Turns out Google stole much of that from Peter Lang at Lycos.Me thinks Mr. Page doth drink too much of his own bathwater.What if Facebook bought Vringo and used their search patent to compete with you?[/citation]

Why don't you cite your sources rather than just post a reply telling others to go do the research? I can make a lot of claims and never back them up either ... hoping that people will just take it at face value and never look into things. Didn't you learn to cite your sources in school?

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
We’re working on a lot of really cool stuff. A lot of it has been copied by our competitors, so I think we’re doing a good job.
if only some other companies thought this way. I dont really use G+ often because none of my friends use it, but I do see that its superior to facebook on many aspects. I use facebook weekly and I find the entire timeline UI a complete mess. Many people seem to like this format, but I hate it. and the whole "likes" reliability facebook has created is awful. so, I must agree theyve been doing a bad job with their product. lots of room for improvement.

google on the other hand, has done a bad job marketing their product. word of mouth alone wont get people using G+.

imispgh

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]if only some other companies thought this way. I dont really use G+ often because none of my friends use it, but I do see that its superior to facebook on many aspects. I use facebook weekly and I find the entire timeline UI a complete mess. Many people seem to like this format, but I hate it. and the whole "likes" reliability facebook has created is awful. so, I must agree theyve been doing a bad job with their product. lots of room for improvement.google on the other hand, has done a bad job marketing their product. word of mouth alone wont get people using G+.[/citation]

Fine

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/07/vringo-google_n_2083873.html

And the running royalty, which the jury said should be 3.5% of 20% of Googles revenue, is in the judges que to affirm. Vringo has asked for 7% and for the jury award for past damages to be changed due to juries math error.

The point being, regardless of $, is that the jury sided with Vringo on ALL counts. They agreed that Google stole the Lycos search method.

supall

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
I'm not sure where the G+ hate is coming from. Page is right, Facebook's recent releases are pretty bad. $ for sending messages to strangers on Facebook? Really? How is that NOT a bad product?

I got rid of Facebook a short while ago and I've been using G+ all of the time. The experience between the two social networks are far more different. It's far more engaging, more stimulating conversations, less personal, no drama, and I don't have to worry about ex-girlfriends.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]jarred125[/nom]And what metric is that? Total amount of facebook users who post their restroom visits or where they went shopping today? Total number of funny cat pictures or redneck jokes? G+ seems (for me) to have superior content in general.[/citation]

Total users, active users, total pictures, advertisement revenue from product, utilization by third parties with service (ie, linking webpages, etc with Facebook), usage on mobile, need I go on?

ibnmuhammad

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
I'm not sure if you guys thought about it yet, but ... why is Google sooo desperate to invade all these areas??

Has anyone else asked for example, how much data Google must on hold on us already. Almost every website we visit (doubleclick / analytics / captcha / search http referer), and even more so if you use Chrome (browser fingerprinting). They probably know more about us than we do about our ownselves.

Think about it, they also know our video interests (YouTube), our friends (Android / G+ / Mail), our jobs, wives, children, where we live (maps / search), exactly where we are at all times of day (Android), they probably even know if any one of us is cheating on our wives!! :D

They probably also know our shopping habits (Google Checkout / Analytics / Android / NFC) and I think they're still more interested in invading this area by releasing their own Visa/MasterCard like solution.

It's scary the amount of info we leave around the web, and especially kids nowadays, their entire lives are on the web, so it's very easy to see how a particular person is growing through time, their interests, and what they're up to.

The perfect tool for the CIA ;)

I was working for a holiday company, and as an experiment, I wanted to know how much info I could gather on a football player who used our site.
I used browser fingerprinting and http referers to track his girlfriend around our entire site, seeing where she moved her mouse and even how long she spent looking at each page.
I got information on her previous visits (based on the browser fingerprint and web logs), and later, info on exactly where the football player lives, who he's related to and visiting on the holiday, his kids and ages, his girlfriends age.

It was getting scary and felt creepy, so I stopped. But I'm pretty sure, if I had a tiny tracker/script on most websites around the world (like Google Analytics / DoubleClick / captcha), I could track their movements and everything they read/saw on the web. Not only that, but using a bit of JavaScript and and AJAX, it also very easy to snipe on any details they type on any form.

People complain about Facebook privacy, but as I see it, it super easy to block, just block Facebook.com and fbcdn.net or whatever and they won't know anything about you, but unfortunately Google has acquired so many different companies around the globe it's difficult/impossible to get away from them.

If you made it this far, sorry about the essay! :)

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]stratplaya[/nom]Facebook has a product???[/citation]

Facebook IS a product! :) Google is also a very good developer so it will be hard for Facebook to say, "Yeah but...." and Facebook is popular because it has a huge customer base and most are not willing to have multiple social page accounts. Once Facebook overwhelms its customers with advertising (ala MySpace) then Google + will get popular since it doesnt rely on it for cash flow.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Things I'm not impressed with on facebook: split screen profiles. It crops pictures requiring you to click on them, screws up the chronological order of posts and just plain looks bad and confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS