Google Co-Founder Says Smartphones Are ''Emasculating''

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhyFi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
A) How can he say that smart phones are emasculating with that crap hanging off his face?

B) When did TED become a marketing platform?

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
He cannot really get around the fact that Glass is geeky. But then I'm geeky so I would get one if it was not for the fact that I wear specs and do not like contacts. Somehow I feel that this may well turn into a major fad that could go the way of the moon bag once it loses any fashion appeal. At some point at least you will get tech that can convert any existing set of specs or shades into a device with similar function. That will be maturity.

ajrm

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Imagine what Batman could do with this.. like in "Dark Knight" using all of Gotham's phones to track Joker.. This will take it to a whole new level..

stormblade42

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
[citation][nom]ajrm[/nom]Imagine what Batman could do with this.. like in "Dark Knight" using all of Gotham's phones to track Joker.. This will take it to a whole new level..[/citation]

This. You don't think the gov't or people within it with their Patriot Act style BS wouldn't somehow use this with facial recognition and other software to keep tabs on everybody. It's like '1984' waiting to happen. They already have backdoors into Facebook so why not whatever Google has lined up? I'm not saying all gov't is untrustworthy but you know there are individuals or groups with their own agenda...

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]stormblade42[/nom]This. You don't think the gov't or people within it with their Patriot Act style BS wouldn't somehow use this with facial recognition and other software to keep tabs on everybody. It's like '1984' waiting to happen. They already have backdoors into Facebook so why not whatever Google has lined up? I'm not saying all gov't is untrustworthy but you know there are individuals or groups with their own agenda...[/citation]

i can see it used for some things but if you think the government can anylize all peices of data even on facebook alone then i have a bridge to sell you. unless facial recognition software gets a hti of a person of interest in your pictures then you are probably fine

G

Quick! Somebody! Develop and market an app/device/laser ray/foam gun that automatically detects and neutralizes thse things. Include in it a wire that runs through the ear into the appropriate cerebral lobe so that it can be "thought" into action or be enabled. Hire a DJ to publicize it. Write a rap song about it. Give it a designer look for the Jen/Jessica/Kim/Beyonce wannabes. Make an ersatz military/soldier/SEAL/Special Ops/cop/NRA version for those high-T wannabes. Instnt billionaire!

G

This is a segway to a computer integrated into a contact lens. Coming soon in this century.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]stormblade42[/nom]This. You don't think the gov't or people within it with their Patriot Act style BS wouldn't somehow use this with facial recognition and other software to keep tabs on everybody. It's like '1984' waiting to happen. They already have backdoors into Facebook so why not whatever Google has lined up? I'm not saying all gov't is untrustworthy but you know there are individuals or groups with their own agenda...[/citation]

They wouldn't be able to do this covertly, there would be a lot of processing and transmitting involved. It would also be very impractical, a lot of effort to be able to find a few individuals faster.

No, the next front in the invasion of privacy/ubiquitous surveillance will be children. There will be a few high profile cases of sexual abuse of children, and the government will mandate all places where children might spend their time to be monitored 24/7, and this will ultimately include private homes with children. Most parents will line up behind it, those that resist will have their kids taken away and before you know it, every home will be wired for sight and sound to the local police station.

cRACKmONKEY421

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
"Emasculating smartphones" says the guy wearing the nerdiest piece of eye-wear ever available LOL! You're saying a dainty set of half-glasses that set you back 15 hundred are really not at all emasculating? I'd feel like the worlds biggest sissy-nerd being an early adopter for this thing. It screams "punch me in the face bullies!" It's worse than a Casio calculator watch. This is like Casio calling the regular calculator emasculating. What a joke.

They should have worked on design more and made it something that doesn't look so dorky. I don't think it will catch on nearly as well as it could with a better look. They should have learned from Apple by now that having a product that looks cool is very important to the general public.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]cRACKmONKEY421[/nom]I'd feel like the worlds biggest sissy-nerd being an early adopter for this thing. It screams "punch me in the face bullies!"[/citation]

Ah, I wish. It's so hard to provoke people to try to punch you in the face these days, what with lawsuits and stand your ground laws.

And besides, who cares what some non-augmented peasant thinks? Just stare through them, say "Ok Glass, draw a penis over his face" and laugh.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I couldn't agree more. Instinctively, I know using these toys is very effeminate, and people don't understand why I won't get one.

Listen, if you're gay, that's fine, but if you're not, you don't want to feel that way.

Now, if they came out with something the size of a brick, with rough texture, with horns, and a pin to pull and it explodes or emits a toxic gas, count me in.

But, with the current set of these girly phones, I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way; there are two of us.

G

Police officers in parts of the country have been rolling out 24/7 recording that they carry with them at all times, so technically depending on where you live you're already looking at people who are recording you. If you live in London you can't walk from your flat to the corner without being recording. Regardless of whether you want to be recorded or not, you're already being recorded. I'd be more upset that the people doing the recording is the government, not some random guy on the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.