Google Daydream Made Of Fabric, Costs Under $100, Available In November

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
Of course Gear VR actually exists now, and has a pretty big app store. Google has a long way to go before this becomes a viable alternative.

bloodroses

Distinguished
I can just see the headlines now: "Google gets sued by Apple, Samsung, and Nintendo for patent infringement" ... lol

But seriously, has anyone seen the Pixel? That think looks just like an iPhone.

At least this headset includes a 'wiimote' like controller, unlike Samsung's offering. :)

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
are you kidding? pixel is ugly, it looks nothing like a iphone. It has a big plastic square on the back side cut into the metal, because, they dont know how to do antenna's lines like apple. The fingerprint scanner on the back is also much different than the iphone.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015

He was probably looking at the front, and it does look iPhone-like, because smart phones have converged on that look, because it's a good look.

bloodroses

Distinguished

We were looking at the front. Outside the little circle, they look identical. Me and my friend at work compared his iPhone to pictures of the Pixel and we honestly couldn't tell the difference outside that.

We were thinking that this was done to make the iPhone possibly compatible with the Daydream.

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Which pixel phone does it use? the 1080p version wouldn't make a stellar viewing experience. I have a Nexus 5x, and I also have a decent library from the Play store, but I don't think the two match up in this device. The 4k version, so I could actually use my HD content, sure. The price seems right for this.

They were all beat to the punch lol.

x354-q80.jpg

TheDane

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
The price is OK. But there would be no positional tracking which is one of the features that really makes VR work for me (I have both Gear VR and Rift).

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
Gear VR is a big step up from cardboard. I suspect this will rival the Gear VR. My LGG3 with its 1440 x 2560 (~538 ppi pixel density) in Cardboard makes me nauseous for half a day. Gear VR with the GS7E felt comfortable for an hour+. Daydream compatibility requires that the handset has equal or better motion and frame latency. So it should be comfortable. I'm not sure I would like the lower pixel density of the the FHD Pixel.

beoir

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
They need to supply details on the fabric. If its not breathable I shudder to think what facial sweat could build when it is on. When it is off the smells and sweat stains that can accumulate. You'd have to wash the thing every day.
Maybe a Nylon Mesh inner layer?

Status
Not open for further replies.