News Google Denies That Chrome's Killing Ad Blockers

Giroro

Splendid
That's a lot of weasel words to pick through but, if anything, it makes me feel a lot worse about how google is handling the situation.
It still sounds like Google is more than happy to let you block their competitor's ads and trackers, but is putting hooks in there to prevent you from blocking their own. Otherwise what exactly does "Dynamic" ad blocking mean? I want to block all ads everywhere all the time, there's nothing dynamic about that. There's no picking-and-choosing based on what kind of service is being used.

But let's give Google and my ignorance the benefit of the doubt and say that this works totally altruistically in the easiest way to interpret their oddly worded statement. So, the adblockers will only be able to see what they are allowed to see..
Who decides what data the ad blocker is allowed to access? What's stopping an advertiser (like google) from marking their ads as sensitive/personal and making them impossible for the ad blocker to detect?

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
It's a reasonable security update that provides long-term benefits to the end user. I'm not sure why this is being looked at like some sort of conspiracy theory.

It's a reasonable security update that provides long-term benefits to the end user. I'm not sure why this is being looked at like some sort of conspiracy theory.
Because it can be used in a negative manner to the end-user - i.e. ads that would normally have been blocked now might not be. "Dynamic" sounds great, but probably isn't. This is Google we are talking about here.

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
Because it can be used in a negative manner to the end-user - i.e. ads that would normally have been blocked now might not be. "Dynamic" sounds great, but probably isn't. This is Google we are talking about here.

From what I gathered from the article, this update isn't even focused on adblocking. It's a blanket change to how plugins are handled in the browser and it just so happens to affect most adblocking plugins. Once the plugins are patched for compatibility with the new update, the "issue" is permanently resolved and adblocking continues as it always has, but with the addition of more end-user privacy.