Question Google Drive can only connect using VPN

Dec 16, 2022
Hello,

today I would like to access my google drive through PC just like usual. But I am having an issue that says "The server encountered an error". I tried different google accounts, different browser, different connections but the problem still occurs. I tried to disable firewall too, the problem still exist.
Later on I tried using VPN, and I can access my google drive back again. Can anybody please tell me the reason behind this issue and how to solve it?

Thank you!

Do you have another pc or other device you can try to access it. You could boot a linux UBS image to try a different OS. I have not used google drive but I assume it is browser based ? Almost all linux boot images have chrome pre installed.

Although a long shot try to disable IPv6 on your machine nic settings, it fixes many strange problems.

The 2 things that make a vpn different is it will appear as a different interface to the OS. If there was some software limiting traffic it might only do it on certain connections.
The other is you are using a different IP address. This would mean you real IP was somehow being banned or blocked. If multiple device have issues since they all use the same IP it would be more likely. Maybe see if the ISP will change your IP.
Sometime you can do this yourself. You could try to power off the modem overnight and see if you get a different IP in the morning.

I would be nice if the message was more descriptive, I mean it could mean anything from some software issue to the data center where the serve was lost power.

Dec 16, 2022
Do you have another pc or other device you can try to access it. You could boot a linux UBS image to try a different OS. I have not used google drive but I assume it is browser based ? Almost all linux boot images have chrome pre installed.

Although a long shot try to disable IPv6 on your machine nic settings, it fixes many strange problems.

The 2 things that make a vpn different is it will appear as a different interface to the OS. If there was some software limiting traffic it might only do it on certain connections.
The other is you are using a different IP address. This would mean you real IP was somehow being banned or blocked. If multiple device have issues since they all use the same IP it would be more likely. Maybe see if the ISP will change your IP.
Sometime you can do this yourself. You could try to power off the modem overnight and see if you get a different IP in the morning.

I would be nice if the message was more descriptive, I mean it could mean anything from some software issue to the data center where the serve was lost power.

Hi thank you for your answer,
Yes it is browser based, and I already tried to access google drive on other devices (phone, tablet, other pc) using the same internet connection, all of them work just fine except this pc.
I disabled IPv6 just like your suggestion, and the problem still occur.
So far it's just google drive service that I can't access, I can still open any site/service just fine.

As for boot using linux, I think I'll give it a try but I am not really sure since I never used linux before.

TRENDING THREADS