Google Drive is Now Live

Status
Not open for further replies.
...and if I were in charge of IT in a company, one of the first things I'd do is block access to this at the firewall, with a zero-exception policy. This would be a great source for targeted infection. Remember Stuxnet?

G

[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]...and if I were in charge of IT in a company, one of the first things I'd do is block access to this at the firewall, with a zero-exception policy. This would be a great source for targeted infection. Remember Stuxnet?[/citation]
I hate you and everything you stand for.

G

[citation][nom]lostmyclan[/nom]i prefer 5gb from google. 25 gb microsoft ? for all my life? our one day this will need a credit card ????[/citation]
I think in this day and age Microsoft is much less intrusive than Google when it comes to mining personal data. Of course it all ends up at the NSA anyway...

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Anyone have issues with using a Cloud based data storage solution from a Company that crawls and indexes all kinds of data and whose revenue stream primarily comes from their search and directed marketing products?

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]andboomer[/nom]I think in this day and age Microsoft is much less intrusive than Google when it comes to mining personal data. Of course it all ends up at the NSA anyway...[/citation]

Why not just use Dropbox and not worried about possible data mining issues that may occur?

jaybus

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
jtt283: I hate you and everything you stand for
That's because you don't understand the accountability problems involved. Is Google Drive HIPAA compatible? Who would be responsible if medical records were stored on Google Drive and it was hacked? Read the fine print carefully.

Also, does Microsoft put the source code to Windows 8 on SkyDrive? Does Google put their employee personal info and payroll on GoogleDrive? I think NOT.

G

[citation][nom]jaybus[/nom]That's because you don't understand the accountability problems involved. [/citation]
You're right, I don't understand. I didn't realize that Google Drive was intended to be used to store and share confidential and personal customer files. Seems like a great, super legit idea.

Silly me, I use my company's secured* transfer tools for such activities.

*note: probably not 100% secure. I'm not naïve.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]eh...I have a personal cloud setup on my home network.[/citation]I do too, but files on a home server are nowhere as immune to loss by disaster as those on one of these remote server based cloud services.

IMO, the ultimate is to have my server files synced with a cloud service. That way if my house burns down I don't lose the hard drives in my server and my backup external all in one nightmarish blaze.

Envix

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
1/4 the cost of Dropbox for 50 and 100GB plans- I expect Dropbox to feel a lot of competition over this, if it ends up with all the same features, which I'm sure it will.

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
24G for $2.49/mo is almost appealing, but...

didn't skydrive just give everyone 25G free? that's 4% more drive for 100% less money.

even if you just signed up for skydrive (and the free 25G offer isn't available to you) you can still get 27G (20 extra over first 7) for $10/y, which comes to $0.83/mo. that's still 12% more drive for 66% less money.

thety6on

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
[citation][nom]math1337[/nom]It's actually 7GB from MS now. Not bad though.[/citation]

Previous skydrive users can still get 25GB for free if they upgrade now.

Status
Not open for further replies.