Review Google Drive Review: Cloud Storage for the Masses

TwoSpoons100

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
Missed out the biggest problem with using google drive's Backup and Sync: the inability to exclude subdirectories from a backed up directory. Which is a right PITA if you have a game chucking image assets into your My Documents folder.
I am astonished google didn't include this feature.

I will not pay out annually/forever the current cost of a 2 TB drive annually for 1 TB of storage...

And look at 10 TB....$1200/ year??? Pretty sure I could do a nice NAS with a RAIDZ2 with 4 or 6 TB drives for much less..and look at Google's 3 year costs...! $3600??? LOL! (Good luck with that!)

Missed out the biggest problem with using google drive's Backup and Sync: the inability to exclude subdirectories from a backed up directory. Which is a right PITA if you have a game chucking image assets into your My Documents folder.
I am astonished google didn't include this feature.

It looks like you can exclude folders indirectly, by (within preferences) deselecting Desktop, Documents and Pictures, and then selecting only the folders you wish...(but, yes, it would be nicer to have a quick/easy way to select everything, and then exclude one or more things thing....)

TwoSpoons100

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
I will not pay out annually/forever the current cost of a 2 TB drive annually for 1 TB of storage...

And look at 10 TB....$1200/ year??? Pretty sure I could do a nice NAS with a RAIDZ2 with 4 or 6 TB drives for much less..and look at Google's 3 year costs...! $3600??? LOL! (Good luck with that!)
Its not about buying storage ... its about buying offsite backup. Its insurance against loss through damage, theft, malware etc. And you can access it anywhere.

Reactions: TJ Hooker