[SOLVED] Google Drive waking PC at 3am - how to prevent it?

itm

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
I put my Windows 10 PC into sleep mode every night, but every morning I notice that it has been woken at 3am by the "googledrivefs3688" process. I have my network adapter configured so that only magic packets can wake it.
How can I prevent Google Drive from waking the PC every morning?

Solution
Drive File Stream is now called Google Drive for desktop.

When you mirror files, all of your My Drive files are stored in the cloud and on your computer, which takes up hard drive space. All of your files will be accessible at any time, even when you don’t have an internet connection or the Drive for desktop app running. Files can be accessed through a folder on your computer.

When you stream files, your My Drive files are stored in the cloud. Hard drive space is only used when you open files and make them available offline. Files that are not available offline can only be accessed when you’re connected to the internet. All files, including those available offline, can be accessed only when the app is running. Files can...

itm

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
I don't have a program called "Google Drive File Stream" installed, but I've just checked my Google Drive settings and it was set to "Stream files" rather than "Mirror files" - maybe this is what is causing the problem?
I've now switched it to "Mirror files" and will see what happens tonight/tomorrow

If I open Task Scheduler, even as Administrator, I am unable to modify (or disable) the Google Tasks. All options are non-editable.
If you right-click on a task, the menu box with Properties listed should appear. Does this not happen? After that one would normally click on the Triggers tab and Edit the schedule. Is this restricted on your computer?

itm

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
When I tried this earlier in the day I was not able to modify the Properties when I right-clicked on any of the Google tasks. I have just tried again, however, and editing is now possible. ALL of the tasks have the "Wake the computer to run this task" option UNCHECKED, so it's not clear why this process has been waking the PC at 3am to run.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Drive File Stream is now called Google Drive for desktop.

When you mirror files, all of your My Drive files are stored in the cloud and on your computer, which takes up hard drive space. All of your files will be accessible at any time, even when you don’t have an internet connection or the Drive for desktop app running. Files can be accessed through a folder on your computer.

When you stream files, your My Drive files are stored in the cloud. Hard drive space is only used when you open files and make them available offline. Files that are not available offline can only be accessed when you’re connected to the internet. All files, including those available offline, can be accessed only when the app is running. Files can be accessed through a mounted drive on your computer.

Important: These options don’t apply to any folders on your computer that you sync with Google Drive. Folders on your computer sync to the Computers tab in Google Drive.

https://support.google.com/googleone/answer/10838124?visit_id=637817937666739859-1651537200&rd=1

I don't have a program called "Google Drive File Stream" installed, but I've just checked my Google Drive settings and it was set to "Stream files" rather than "Mirror files" - maybe this is what is causing the problem?
I've now switched it to "Mirror files" and will see what happens tonight/tomorrow
that is likely reason it was running it then.

you could report a problem with drive help, see bottom of page - https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2565956?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop#zippy=

Solution

itm

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
Hmmm...it looks like the problem wasn't resolved after all - this morning the googledrivefs3688 process woke the PC at 10:04. I then went back into Google Drive settings and found that, without intervention from me, my sync option had changed back from "Mirror" to "Stream".
This is seeming like a game of whack-a-mole

TRENDING THREADS