Google Explains How It Protects Android Users From Ransomware

Status
Not open for further replies.

techy1966

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
So I got to ask since Android and Windows get hit with this stuff does IOS as well or do all the scam artist out there use IOS devices only so they leave them alone...lol Or does Apple try to keep things like that all hush hush I knwo the Mac's are now getting hit with crapware now days but it is rarely ever covered in the open news.

mrmez

Splendid
Macs and IOS still get hit, but much less.

Many factors include lower user numbers (MacOS specifically), but on the IOS front the 2 main reasons are that Apple locks down installation of software to what you get on the app store only. It's very hard to get nefarious apps through.

The biggest reason for Android's vulnerability is the fragmentation of OS upgrades that mitigate a lot of risk. For example, when a new IOS comes out, the adoption rates are insane. Within a few months ~80% of Apple users could be on the current OS. With Android, as the article says, software updates are often manufacturer specific. So while Samsung and other big companies might have the new software really soon, there are dozens of others that might never get the updates, despite being quite new. That's pretty damaging to the stats overall.

This from TechCrunch kind sums it up...
"Despite this delay to notify users, now more than half the active user base moved to iOS 10. For comparison’s sake, Android 7.0 “Nougat,” which arrived several weeks ahead of iOS 10, is only installed on 0.1 percent of devices."

Chettone

Honorable
May 20, 2013
If you own a Mac or iPhone you have been already kidnapped,brainwashed and with no money left. No need to ransomware those users.

A friend of mine brought me a Laptop with ransomware on it.
I googled it and wrote in the key that someone who broke that particular ransomware made public.
not sure how it works but in that case it was easy to eliminate from the PC once I had access to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.