Google Fiber Delays Expansion Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big_Byte

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014
I can't be the only who sees Google's direct access to your internet habits as a major concern, right? Count me out.

G

Not just Google mate..

Just a example but I disable Ghostery on this website and there is almost 40 trackers

edit-well it is not all trackers but you get the picture

Big_Byte

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014
I agree most websites want to track you for $$$, but Google is taking it to the next level with search, direct internet access, genomics, android auto etc.

If you are scared of Google, you really should call your Internet provide, discontinue your service, and sell your computer. Then you should cut every credit card you own into pieces, and slowly toss those into the trash over the next 6 months. Remember to carry lots of cash with you. That, and only that will stop people from tracking you.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Just look up "How to live OFF the grid". Other words be prepared to go camping in the woods forever.

One way or another we are being tracked. So if you are the truly paranoid then go off grid and never be heard from again.

kenjitamura

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
I'm in Salt Lake City and I really hope Google Fiber comes here. The city was going to implement its own fiber service through a project called UTOPIA but the DSL company, Qwest/Centurylink, convinced the city council to vote against it by promising to expand its own DSL coverage within the city. Now most parts of the city are limited to a 7mbps/768kbps connection with a monthly cost of $45. Unless you go with Comcast which is arguably just as bad because their internet service is never close to the advertised speeds and they actively throttle connections.

Dec 20, 2014
This country needs Google to light a fire under these anti competitive agreements. What made America great was competition. Yet in every city we only have ONE option. Notice I didn't say choice. How is this even America? Capitalism is great! We tell the world. Competition is what make you stronger! We tell the world. But come to any city/town USA and you only have ONE option? Yet we blast North Korea for having ONE state sponsored option.We're turning into little North Korea's from these guys graduating Ivy league schools.
Google will be the next Fed Ex of the internet eventually.

DasBoot

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
Not every community has 40 foot poles so that you don't violate OSHA spacing rules when it comes to placing fiber on a pole.
And underground has even more rules regarding what you can dig up to lay trench.
This costs big money upfront. Just ask Verizon. they are still in the red with FiOS. Luckily they have their wireless division to bail them out financially but how long will that last?

Steve Van Loenen

Honorable
May 24, 2013
I have Google Fiber and I love it! 120$ a month for gigabit internet and TV. So far the fastest I have downloaded was a 6 gb file at 130mb/s. the host servers are the limit to speed at the moment.

MQ1hunter

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
We need competition again, keep costs reasonable & to bring us customers a better products... We are to limited by a select few...

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Unless you go with Comcast which is arguably just as bad because their internet service is never close to the advertised speeds and they actively throttle connections.
Say what? If you think that they are throttling you from the connection speed that you have paid for, contact Comcast and tell them. Usually, it is NOT that they are throttling you but that you do not know how to change from Mb to MB..... divide by 8 to get the latter.
If your connection is 24Mbps, you should get about 3MB per second speeds.

DasBoot

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

I agree. If you think you are getting throttled from ANY ISP you can investigate just by starting with a simple trace route.
The whole Netflix sillyness could have been explained if folks just ran them to see that the bottleneck was one hop after netflix and not at your <insert ISP that you hate this week here>.

CaptainSiscold

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2014
...and I'm stuck with 1.5 megabits down and 0.15 megabits up on a satellite network with ~800ms ping times as our ADVERTISED speed? (that's 180 KB/sec down and about 18 KB down for all you folks at home) Our average speed is more like 75 KB/sec down, and *maybe* 10 KB/sec up.

M0j0jojo

Honorable

Oh and fake ur death and come to ur own funeral as a guy named Phil Shifly

Status
Not open for further replies.