Google Fiber May Branch Out to 34 New Cities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majestone

Reputable
Feb 19, 2014
Google Fiber Thank You for Investing in Utah. You are in Provo, Utah. Please come to Salt Lake City, Utah. I live downtown. We need you. - Majestone

daekar

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
As much as Google scares me a bit by how big they're getting, they seem to adhere to their "don't be evil" mantra where the law gives them a choice. It makes me happy to see them stealing customers from companies like Comcast and Verizon.

Shankovich

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
For the love of God come to Toronto please. $65 a month for 2.5 MB/s and a 80 gig cap is just too much. I'd go with Techsavvy but the speed I'd want is still expensive monthly.

Shankovich

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Sorry for the double post, but actually...Google Fibre couldn't make it to Canada considering the government doesn't allow foreign internet and cell competition inside; that, and the Rogers/Bell lobbyists stop everything.

epaciga

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
The world revolves around me - come to whatever town I am living in Google! Google, I know you're monitoring Toms Hardware posts since I am here.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

How hard is it to click on an internet link? The link names every city they are looking at. You guessed correctly, that Tempe and Scottsdale were the 2 suburbs. But you wouldn't have had to guess if you had just clicked on the link.

Cool to see the city I live in on the list. However, even if they are official selected, it will be years before this service is available to anyone in these new cites.

Truckinupga

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
I just wish that we rural customers were not always left out of the deal, I have one choice which I am surprised at that since I live 10 miles from the city limit and its cable internet to boot. But the problem is its riddled with problems and high priced packages, Google please help.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
If Google Dark Fiber was where I'm at, I'd be a first-day buyer. I'm just done with Verizon. Hopefully, the router you have to use with Google Dark Fiber isn't a piece of crap.

gwwerner

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I just wish that we rural customers were not always left out of the deal, I have one choice which I am surprised at that since I live 10 miles from the city limit and its cable internet to boot. But the problem is its riddled with problems and high priced packages, Google please help.
Unfortunately, it is just too expensive to run a bunch of fiber to all of the houses in rural settings. You will always be 10 years behind what is available in big cities. By the way, the cost to get the free option installed in Provo is $30, instead of $300. I suspect it was because Google took over the City's fiber system.

beoza

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Google just buy out UTOPIA in Utah, you'd have access to a couple thousand people, and have access to existing fiber lines that already stretch from Salt Lake City North to Ogden (roughly 30-35miles).

Kieran Warren

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013
How about some other countries? I would love to have it in London and some other countries would certainly appreciate it as well, ie Canada, Australia, Germany etc

onover

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
You think we can get this shit in Australia? :) At the rate out GVT is going, we might have 100mbit by 2020.
I think you're being a bit optimistic. With the new change in Government, I'd say closer to 2030.

barto

Expert
Ambassador
In light of Comcast's recent Timewarner purchase, this would be the best thing for US North Carolinians. This would help drop the over priced and terrible service of the #1 and previously #2 Cable/Internet providers.

tvieson

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
For the love of god come to Cincinnati. Tired of hearing our cable and DSL providers boast that they have such great speeds at a low cost. It is literally choosing the lesser of 2 evils here.

Status
Not open for further replies.