Google Fighting Piracy With Search Result Demoting

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
this wont be of much help against piracy. anyone whos serious about pirating music would find a way, even if it takes them a bit longer. or they would just use another search engine.

I fear this will be of more danger to forums that allow users to easily make topics. Like Ultimate-Guitar. people posts tons of guitar covers there every day. are they gonna block the most used guitar website that uses google adsense and sells apps on google play?

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
It should help deter "mainstream pirates" though.

Hardcore pirates don't even use Google to find their stuff. It's the casual, mainstream people who are generally ignorant and lazy to begin with who will be most affected by semi-filtered Google results.

jl0329

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
I am sure piracy is coming to an end because of this.

On the other hand, the advertisement linked words in these articles are ridiculously annoying.

G

The real hilarity is the potential this has for abuse. 'Legitimate' take down notices go out all the time that later turn out to be fraudulent, even one that come from companies like BMG. Look at the controversy surrounding that Megaupload video a year or two back. The record label had zero grounds, but youtube took it down as it was a 'legitimate' takedown notice. and had to put it right back up again when it turned out to not be 'legitimate' at all.

Flareside

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I agree with wiini on this. Mostpeople who pirate already have thier group of sites they use and this will not really prevent it from happening. I can see it helping prevent a casual user from starting down that road though.

Flare

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
lol is Youtube included in this demoting?

And whoever Googles to find pirated stuff will likely put in "torrent", "cracked" or whatever in their searches - which the legit sites don't have and so they won't show up in the top results anyway.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Will likely do some good vs the casual pirate but it wont change anything with the "established" pirates, they use other tools than Google.

This is very general but this is how i see it:
Scene = Private FTP's
Normal Pirates = Invite only FTP + Invite only Torrent and in some cases invite only DC and irc channels.
Casual Pirates = Open known torrent sites and goggling.

mrmaia: Good point - Google being fair and demote their own Youtube each time they take down a vid from their site, its a corp - Its all about the money and there is the answer!

G

"The ranking will be based on the number of valid copyright removal notices Google receives for any given website"

Guess Youtube will be at the bottom of the list. They wouldn't give themselves special consideration would they?

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
What the industry fails to realize is that all this accomplishes is pushing people to other search engines that they don't have control over rather than the one they do. People don't -have- to use Google search. You're plugging up one hole in a ship full of holes.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Seeing 50 cent on mountains of dollars makes me cry when i know there are ppl out there pirating stuff .. not to mention the ridiculous luxury of hollywood ... what i wanted to say is that this kind of actions only protect the very rich.

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Not to sound condescending..but who uses Google as a serious source to find scene release software?
The net result will be next to none in help stopping it. Anyone that pirates enough for it to be a problem don't 'google' for a link.
The most it will do is stop the grandma's looking for willy nelson songs, and looking for a full version of Desktop Buddy to install so they can see all the animations he has.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Bad move by Google. They're slowly caving into the pressure I see. Not all torrents are pirated software. A good deal of Open Source software is distributed via torrent, for instance.

For all the pirates out there, once all the torrent sites are eventually taken down, Copyright VS Piracy: Copyright loses, pirates win.
https://rt.com/usa/news/internet-war-new-tribler-941/

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Ah.. search engines. Now they will deviate our eyes from the things they do not want us to see. Do I hear the foundations of the internet dying? Is that just me?

Bad move, Google

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
So they are demoting content based on removal requests? That is ridiculous. If I run a website what's to stop me from filing a bunch of removal requests against my main competitors to lower their search rankings? The potential for abuse here is high. Now if they only downranked confirmed cases of copyright abuse where the offender admitted guilt or lost the case in court, then this would make sense.

vittau

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]So they are demoting content based on removal requests? That is ridiculous. If I run a website what's to stop me from filing a bunch of removal requests against my main competitors to lower their search rankings? The potential for abuse here is high. Now if they only downranked confirmed cases of copyright abuse where the offender admitted guilt or lost the case in court, then this would make sense.[/citation]

"That said, Google won't remove any pages from search results unless the company receives a valid copyright removal notice from the rights owner."

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
So people are going to use Yahoo or some other search engine. nothing really big other than seeing google's search requests dip a bit.

But, this looks like it could hurt legit websites if they were at one point in time out of complance with a take down request. I guess we will see how this plays out.

Even if google and the other search engines shut down tomorrow, it wouldn't kill piracy. Hurt it? yes. Kill it? nope.

G

This has always been backwards, and it's amazing that people in 'power' keep thinking that this will work.
Ideally, the pirated results should be the top listings - that way the FBI can shut these sites down a whole lot quicker rather than having to jump to page 1.5 million in the search results. The problem with piracy is the original people making the content illegally available - the original uploaders. Without actually attacking or prosecuting them, the content keeps being made available. By going after the endpoint distributor, the sources are still completely untouched, able to change mediums, change sites, change methods to continue what they have always been doing. It's unbelievable that nobody else grasps this concept. So google changes their search results, people will simply move to Yahoo's search, excite, iRC, torrent sites, private message boards, newsgroups, MSN, dropbox, etc etc etc, it's ineffective, and proven to fail before they even implement it.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Sooner or later, it will become business practice for businesses to use the take-down system to silence their competitors. I wonder if Yahoo (or someone else) will start to make a comeback?

Demoting search results – effectively telling the searcher that these are not the websites you’re looking for – based on accusations alone gives copyright owners one more bit of control over what we see, hear, and read."
Thank you, EFF, for the seamless integration of a Star Wars reference.

I'm surprised Google is even taking a stance on this. Though they've been in legal trouble via YouTube, there's no reason they should even be involved in this copyright mess. It will end up maintaining their advertising base, but will ultimately hurt their consumer base.

Status
Not open for further replies.