Google Gets Umbrella Patent For Cloud Operating Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
US Patent office.
First they tell us that everything that can be invented has been invented; now they let you patent lint and dust bunnies.

Maybe they where right after all, everything WORTH patenting has been invented and they just need to come up with reasons to show up for work :)

Not to worry. EDS patented automated operations in the late 90s. LOL. They never tried to enforce it, would not have held up. Google is too big and has too much to lose to be a patent troll (I hope).

Boxa786

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
omg so apples icloud was not the invention of cloud os and apple don't have this patent already?

There's goes all of apples attempts to troll any cloud computing companies with patents. Nice one Google

G

what happens to virtualized OS now? They would pay google. OMG.

G

THAT'S BIG BROTHER GOOGLE.. NO ONE CAN TOUCH US..INNOVATE PEOPLE...

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
I want to patent the concept of "Stupid".

The problem is that the US patent system is prior art.

On the upside they will still let me patent the concept.

It's not bad to patent stupid things. It's bad to use stupid patents to patent troll other companies. Google might have simply done this so that Apple couldn't screw them over with it later. Still, that they got it is easily one of the worst things that the USA patent office has done so far. It's one of the most vague and ridiculous patents that I've ever seen and topping many of Apple's patents isn't easy. However, it's fine IMO, that is so long as Google doesn't abuse it.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]willyroc[/nom]MONOPOLY MONOPOLY MONOPOLY! Can I patent my opinion on this too?[/citation]

Sorry, but Parker Brothers will have a word with you :)

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Basically web-based apps and storage interacting with clients through a browser that does not require an OS. The internet is the computer, the browser is the OS, the PC is a dumb terminal.

Dr_JRE

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Very scary times we are living in.

I don't like the idea of Google patenting not just an open source operating system, but taking what seems to be anti-trust level control over a technology that is not new, not theirs and not in the interests of humanity. If you peek behind the curtains you will find computers are not run on electricity, In reality they are running off Money, Politics and Religion.

You would be surprised to found out where your money goes when you buy a computer, parts / accessories and software.

It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights fall a prey to the active. The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

G

I believe you taking that out of context. if you read one paragraph after that they say it is explicitly your property, but they "reserve" the ability to use OCI on text documents, goggles on photos, and anything that could serve useful to them to create new and innovative features. Your property is still yours, and you can take it anywhere you want. Also to address the patent issues, google has historically stated and proved the only reason for them to submit patents are to prevent from getting sued. They've stated and proved many times they will not hinder the creation and innovation of other companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.