Google Hangouts Rumored to Be Eating Google Voice

Status
Not open for further replies.

burkhartmj

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
If they maintain the voicemail functionality, this would be great. Better to roll it into Hangouts and have consistent updates than have it continue to stagnate.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
If I'm able to have a voice number, place calls to and from it to any phone (or other voice number), and check voicemail / sms for that number fine. Anything else is just destroying features I use.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
No surprise there. I only use GV because I like having a universal phone number, and having a phone number I can give to entities that I don't want to have my cell phone number.Other than that, I don't use GV (the app) all that much. I don't care about their voicemail integration. But this wasn't a surprise on many levels. The service hadn't honestly been updated in years.

Daniel Panichelli

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
I had my real phone number ported to Google Voice a couple years back, I worry about how this is going to effect both that and my voicemail functions...

waikano

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
As long as they don't kill it and just roll it into another service that's fine...I don't know what I would do without my Google Voice Number..

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
This can either help or hurt.The last time they integrated Google Talk into Hangouts they messed it up big-time. Right now if I am on my phone in a active chat in hangouts, I cannot see if that person is online, if I press the back button I am taken back to the chat list which is essentially swiping the window to the right. If I press the back button twice it exits the app. When I relaunch the app it takes me back to the main chat window and if I swipe to the left it shows the contact list with who is online.That is the only way I can see who is online if I am in an active chat. I have to exit the app and relaunch it to get back to the contact list. Everyone been complaining about online notifications and they have yet to fix it. It was perfect on google talk for android

beans4you

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Voice and hangouts kill my battery as bad as google now. Kill then hibernate with greenify and tasker profiles shouldn't be needed to retain battery but it's the best option I see so far. Using the old sms app with voice frozen.

shriganesh

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
I for one, stopped using hangouts in my mobile. I was very comfortable with Google talk. But hangouts interface is confusing and useless. I've disabled hangouts in all my devices except my PC browser.

Joe Ardin

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
Not a rumor...See this note on the google play store app. Talkatone.SPECIAL NOTE TO EXISTING TALKATONE FOR GOOGLE VOICE USERS: Talkatone will continue to support Google Voice users until May 15, 2014. After May 15, 2014 Talkatone users will no longer be able to access Google Voice through Talkatone because Google is discontinuing third party access to Google Voice on that date. We encourage all existing Talkatone for Google Voice users to consider switching to the new Talkatone service, the features of which are described above, prior to May 15, 2014 to ensure a seamless and uninterrupted transition. Happy Talking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts