Google Launches Goo.gl Site With QR Surprise

Status
Not open for further replies.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
QR code is pretty popular to advertise Android apps. That way you can shoot the monitor with your phone if you want to download the app.

we'll see QR codes everywhere in the future to load up menus in restaurants, animal's info in the zoo's etc. Too bad I have not found a way to add a business plan to that wave.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]kronos_cornelius[/nom]QR code is pretty popular to advertise Android apps. That way you can shoot the monitor with your phone if you want to download the app.we'll see QR codes everywhere in the future to load up menus in restaurants, animal's info in the zoo's etc. Too bad I have not found a way to add a business plan to that wave.[/citation]

to bad i already have, and i will start the patent process tomorrow, or copyright or something, something so that every time someone uses a qr code for that purpose I get a penny. ill probably be set for life

theoutbound

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
QR codes or no, do we really need another one of these things. I swear Tom's RSS feeds this morning are full of Google not invented here stories. First WebP and now this. What's next? Google invents new internet, claims old internet is too slow because it's a series of tubes.

G

@theoutbound

Google invents telepathy (as powered by android) iPhone no longer required....

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Yeah this is great in a way, VERY BAD in another. Reading the real Url helps a lot of people to avoid bad sites, i REALLY hope Google make sure they only have links to legitimate sites before this could become a worse security risk than it already is!

lathe26

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Google missed a fundamental scenario: web link rot.

If I need to change where my shortened URL points to, I can't do that with Google's solution. Now I have get a new QR code as well. I'm left with a stack of printed business cards, postcards, flyers, or whatever that I need to pay $$ to get reprinted.

Microsoft Tags have better functionality (for now).

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Oh god, it's almost like CueCat all over again.

Though as also mentioned, there's the issue with link rot. For smartphones, this sort of system could be rather useful, and I could see it adopted in business; business card gets waved, scanned, smartphone loads relevant page. But if there isn't a counter to link rot... It'll likely be too burdensome.

Status
Not open for further replies.