Google mail account suspended

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Hi. I can get to my googlemail account on my mobile. When I try on the PC. I get shut down your email account has been compromised by an app. This is a standalone PC and no suspicions app. It gives me 3 choices. Verify using mobile phone, where were you born and use an associated email address.

I never receive a txt msg, I copy a number fr4om my associated email and I type in where I was born. Getting pissed off with this OTT security. I have no breach and I am not told what this suspicions behaviour is.

Has anyone else encountered this crap and if so how did you get out of it. Failing this I have to use my mobile phone to contact everyone and give them a new email address and close googlemail down. I havent been hapy with it's web based system. Can't split the page and get back to where i was etc.

Ralston18

Titan
Seconding @drivinfast247 - contact Google support.

And I will also add a couple of questions and suggestions.

What version of Windows is installed on the PC?

When did the shutdowns start?

Any recent updates?

Also you stated "no suspicious app": Have you run any malware or AV software on your PC?

Look in Reliability History for any error codes, warnings, or information events regarding email, google, or other apps.

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Ryzen 9 3900x CCD0@4.35ghz-CCD1@ ........

This isnt't a link to a support page

I havent got a link to contact Google support.

Using Windows 7 64 bit PC. Have checked details on mobile phone. It apears I have 3 email addresses and 2 mobile phone numbers. Even though it asks me to verify my mobile ending in **61 and me entering my mobile number and telling me it has sent me a message I get nothing.

I have as stated given them a suprting email address and copied in the number. Still nothing.

*** Have you run any malware or AV software on your PC?
This worked last night at 23:20 before I turned my PC off and went to bed. No apps were installed when I was asleep. They have screwed up here. Can't work it out but I don't get a message to my mobile phone but i can look at my google mail on my mobile phone without any problems.

BREAKING NEWS.
I have got google chrome to work on my PC. I had to create new passwords 3 times in order for it to work.
I deleted my account on my samsung A40 phone and tried to add it.

HA! HA! HA!
Unusal activity on your google account. It is now asking me to enter the last password you remember using. Which one of the last 10 should I use as it is not happy with the latest one that I am now using to sign on on my PC.

Best of all: Where were you born fails, and it has my mobile phone number on record but it is strange behavior.

Last edited:
Any new device logging/signing on to a Google acct, be it laptop, desktop, or phone, will be met with exactly such authentication protocols...

That you know the password is not relevant.

New device, or even a new VM instance, you will reauthenticate thru text/email, as specified when you set up the account.

Ralston18

Titan
In agreement with @mdd1963.

Will add in a recent personal experience with "re-authentication".

I recently went through an authentication process that required a verification code be sent to my mobile phone.

Normally the code is/was just sent via my email address.

However; stronger authentication measures are now being required.

Well and good except I could not get into my account to provide a mobile phone number. Why? Because I could not provide authentication via a mobile phone number.

The software/financial company cited the IRS and NIST as requiring mobile authentication versus my preferred email verification.

Apparently a mobile device (unique phone number) is more indicative proof of who you are versus an email that can be accessed via multiple systems.

Went in circles for a few days.

Fortunately, I finally reached a support tech who understood the proverbial "Catch-22" and knew how to update my account information with some additional verification that I provided.

I now get verification codes sent by text message to my mobile phone number.

Overall, it meant that if no mobile phone to authenticate then the software and service were useless.

Makes me wonder how seniors and others with limited resources are going to function under such rules....

Funny this posting should appear ( well not really funny , sorry ) , anyway , just by coincidence for the past 3 days i have received about 5 emails a day saying somebody has tried to access a gmail address that i set up for fun just to see how long it would be before a spam bot paid it a visit , i have never actually used the email to send anything.

Unlike you i have not been asked to .... Verify using mobile phone, where were you born and use an associated email address. All i got was "somebody has tried to access one of your email address's

Dont forget to write down your email passwords somewhere because you will end up forgetting the last one you used.
You will also discover that if you use say thunderbird mail program that when it tries to retrieve emails it will say incorrect password because thunderbird servers wont know you changed things.

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
This is not a thunderbird issue. It looks like NOW (Only this week) I can't have googlemail on both my android phone and my windows PC. Getting access to one stops the other.

I managed to get googlemail working on my mobile phone. It sent me a txt and I entered the G- number. Now I can't get into my google mail again on my PC. Suspisiouse activity. I enter my phone number but no txt is sent. So I am back to where I started, Googlemail is CRAP. Need a better emailing system.

It asks me where I was born. I answered that. It asks me for an asociated email address. It sent me a code to the other email address I get this from my other email account.

Hi Desmond,

We received a request to access your Google Account <Removed by Moderator> through your email address. Your Google verification code is:

I now enter this code on my PC snd get...

Thanks for confirming that you can access the contact email address that you provided.
Unfortunately, Google couldn't verify that <Removed by Moderator> belongs to you. Learn more about how to recover your account.

IT LOOKS LIKE GOOGLE WILL ONLY ALOW ONE DEVICE.

[Mod Note: Do not post your personal e-mail address in a public forum, unless you enjoy all the SPAM it will generate}

Last edited: