Question Google Mesh, Synology NAS and not being able to map network drives

Mar 10, 2024
I have a simple network provided fibre internet box to which I have attached a Google Mesh system of 3 acces points.
The network router does not cover the whole house hence the mesh system. The mesh seems to work as designed for a few years now.
The Google Mesh has only one ethernet port to which I have attached an Ikea device for my Zigbee smart home. All works fine.
I just bought a brand spanking new Synology NAS which I have attached to the router's ethernet port as there is no other ports on the Google Mesh.
Now I can access the NAS by it's IP address, 192.168.1.18, fine, and also via Quickconnect over the internet.
However, on my PC if I use Windows Explorer I see nothing on the network, it's not there.
When I try to Map a Network drive it also does not work, it can't find it (not using the IP address, not using the //name/drivename method).

I am at a loss (and not a network connoisseur) and I followed some help Youtube video's but nothing changes.

Any suggestions on what can be done (in laymens terms) to map a network drive from my NAS?

So if I read this correctly you have

ISP router----Mesh router.....................wifi to remote mesh units.

You then connected your nas to a port on the ISP router not your mesh router.

This is the fairly standard NAT/WAN issue. The network between the 2 routers is considered internet from viewpoint of devices connected to the mesh router.

For most home use all your stuff needs to be on the same lan network. I suspect the simplest solution is to buy a cheap 5 port switch to solve the issue of not enough ethernet ports on the mesh router.

Reactions: AristoKat
Mar 10, 2024
So if I read this correctly you have

ISP router----Mesh router.....................wifi to remote mesh units.

You then connected your nas to a port on the ISP router not your mesh router.

This is the fairly standard NAT/WAN issue. The network between the 2 routers is considered internet from viewpoint of devices connected to the mesh router.

For most home use all your stuff needs to be on the same lan network. I suspect the simplest solution is to buy a cheap 5 port switch to solve the issue of not enough ethernet ports on the mesh router.
I think that is what it is indeed.
So a network switch attached to the Google Nest and then all ethernet stuff attached to that.
Strange though that accessing the Nas through it's IP on the ISP router does work (but thats is my laymans view...l.)

There are somethings that will work and other that will not. It depend on who opened the session. It is the sames a your machine can open session to the intenret but internet machines can't open session to machines in your house.

Reactions: AristoKat

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
What model are existing router and new Google mesh?

Make sure you don't create DOUBLE NAT between two routers, like some in 192.168.1.x and some in 192.168.50.x ranges

you probably need to put Google mesh in AP mode, and a switch if the existing router does not have extra ports.

you also need to enable SMB on your Synology

Last edited: