Google Nexus 7 Tops iPad in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacomac

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Considering that the Nexus 7 had a 2 month lead on the iPad Mini it's not surprising it has the bigger market share. Considering the iPad costs more than the Nexus and the iPad shortages that's a pretty good result for Apple.

Also, I have both of these devices and if money was no object and I was only allowed to keep one it would be the iPad without doubt. The Nexus 7 performs like a bag of spanners most of the time, only occasionally performing up to the quad core spec, but generally the iPad is smoother and faster in operation and has far better software support. My Nexus is mostly used as a glorified GPS device now.

junnyeen

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
[citation][nom]pacomac[/nom]Also, I have both of these devices and if money was no object and I was only allowed to keep one it would be the iPad without doubt. The Nexus 7 performs like a bag of spanners most of the time, only occasionally performing up to the quad core spec, but generally the iPad is smoother and faster in operation and has far better software support. My Nexus is mostly used as a glorified GPS device now.[/citation]

Well if money was no object, I would rather use a 4K OLED television to watch shows and the old 1080p television in my living room as a glorified picture frame.

JackFrost860

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Because Apple takes 30% of the profit of every App sold on the App store it would make sense to stay #1, and if it's the price of the tablets that is driving consumers to the only serious competition, then Apple would be wise to lower the price of that tablet, and reap the rewards of grater number of App sales. IMO ;)

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
Apple wins...

people who think Asus is better coz it is 100$ less are idiots and dont know what they are paying for.

the Ipad GPU is 2x faster , has rear Camera , and has 4G

thats ALOT more than 100$ worth. plus the xcase and design and look

acroanidd

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
[citation][nom]sna[/nom]Ipad GPU is 2x faster , has rear Camera , and has 4Gthats ALOT more than 100$ worth. plus the xcase and design and look[/citation]

To some people it would matter, however I prefer Android over iOS, not in a fanboyish kind of way. However your argument falls flat pretty quick, the faster GPU while it may be true, has no practical advantage because the software to show off the speed, really isn't there, there aren't very many games at all that I play or am even aware of, in a sea of apps where there are hundreds of thousands, having the ability to play 1 with water and lighting affects that is marginally better isn't really worth it. As for the camera, the last time I took a picture with my tablet was never, it is a silly idea, terrible quality camera that i have a 0% chance of ever using, if I want a good picture I would use my phone, which I have in my pocket at all times. My favorite argument is the "has 4G"... now, you are talking in the $100 more expensive model, which is WiFi only, but I will let that slide, and just roll with this. However, 4G requires an additional monthly fee to whatever telco you actually are using. Personally my cell bill every month is high enough that it annoys me to the point where I'm contemplating going back to dumb phones. Why on earth would I want to add another cost to something? Oh and if I really needed internet on the go, my phone has a wifi hotspot feature, that I just happen to get "free" with the excessive bill from Verizon.

[citation][nom]acroanidd[/nom]To some people it would matter, however I prefer Android over iOS, not in a fanboyish kind of way. However your argument falls flat pretty quick, the faster GPU while it may be true, has no practical advantage because the software to show off the speed, really isn't there, there aren't very many games at all that I play or am even aware of, in a sea of apps where there are hundreds of thousands, having the ability to play 1 with water and lighting affects that is marginally better isn't really worth it. As for the camera, the last time I took a picture with my tablet was never, it is a silly idea, terrible quality camera that i have a 0% chance of ever using, if I want a good picture I would use my phone, which I have in my pocket at all times. My favorite argument is the "has 4G"... now, you are talking in the $100 more expensive model, which is WiFi only, but I will let that slide, and just roll with this. However, 4G requires an additional monthly fee to whatever telco you actually are using. Personally my cell bill every month is high enough that it annoys me to the point where I'm contemplating going back to dumb phones. Why on earth would I want to add another cost to something? Oh and if I really needed internet on the go, my phone has a wifi hotspot feature, that I just happen to get "free" with the excessive bill from Verizon.[/citation]
You make too much sense for the Apple fanbois around here...
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Well, the Nexus 7 is less expensive.[/citation]
..has a better screen, a more ergonomic design/aspect ratio, stand-alone GPS receiver, universal micro-USB charging port, a vastly superior OS, etc. The list goes on and on.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
With real competitors finally in the market, Apple can no longer afford to price their mobile (phone and tablet) devices at a premium.

[citation][nom]sna[/nom]Apple wins...people who think Asus is better coz it is 100$ less are idiots and dont know what they are paying for.the Ipad GPU is 2x faster , has rear Camera , and has 4Gthats ALOT more than 100$ worth. plus the xcase and design and look[/citation]

And yet the sales numbers state the opposite...at least, in this specific case.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]sna[/nom]Apple wins...people who think Asus is better coz it is 100$ less are idiots and dont know what they are paying for.the Ipad GPU is 2x faster , has rear Camera , and has 4Gthats ALOT more than 100$ worth. plus the xcase and design and look[/citation]
The 16GB iPad-mini model with 4G costs $250 more than the 16GB Nexus-7, that's more than double the price... nowhere near the same price bracket.

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
Guys, don't get fooled by Zak's incomplete re-publishing of others people information. The survey that he refers only counted sales in retail stores and most likely Apple stores in Japan are not included. That was the bad news for Google, but there is good news as well. Based on what I saw in Taiwan suspect that Nexus7 is significantly more expensive in retail channels over there. I guess consumers outside USA don't enjoy 'discount' from Google. If Asus can sell Nexus 7 at price much closer to Apple in retail store proves how brainwashed some people like "pacomac' are. And the USA is only the strong hold of Apple that still standing.

Status
Not open for further replies.