Google Nexus 8 Tablet May Have Intel Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
"That low demand is partially due to the actual price tag, which is more than a number of other 7-inch models on the market."Someday, consumers will understand that tablets are not all made equal. the Nexus 7 2013 is still the best 7-inch tablet in terms of specs and price. there are apps that you just can't run on the lower end ones...

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
"That low demand is partially due to the actual price tag, which is more than a number of other 7-inch models on the market."Someday, consumers will understand that tablets are not all made equal. the Nexus 7 2013 is still the best 7-inch tablet in terms of specs and price. there are apps that you just can't run on the lower end ones...
Yes but a good enough lower end device will always outsell the best high end device if they're priced as such. Just look at what happened with the iPhone. The original Nexus 7 sold well because it was one of the cheapest 7" tablets available when it first came out. Nexus devices are starting to price themselves into the high end niche market, just watch.

Oh I believe it, trust me. I guess I'm just surprised that the average consumer sees it that way, while they certainly don't seem to mind spending money on overpriced and under-powered samsung products (the galaxy tabs, not the phones). Google promises update support for Nexus devices for a minimum of two years. this would only work for a 'high-end' device in this rapidly evolving mobile market.

My problem is with the consumer who buys a $50 7-inch tablet, then complains that half of the apps his friends have won't run on it... the same consumer may proceed to find out that he bought his tablet on a 'limited time SALE, all sales are final' event where he can't get his $50 back -_-

Mike Friesen

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
Quote: "the current model has experienced less of a demand compared to the first-generation model, which saw the better half of six million units sold"It might just be me, but this sentence is confusing. Did the original sell a little over 3 million? Close to six million? Or was the total between the two versions six million, and the original sold more than half?

bebangs

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
demand is partially due to the actual price tag

Reasoning for Me and friends is microSD slot. Just take a look at all the reviews, the nexus is not perfect because there's no microSD.

Give us microSD slot! with low pricetag and this will be perfect.

InvalidError

Titan

I have owned three N7v2 and tried three more in-store. I have found at least one show-stopping problem (something that I would not tolerate on a $200+ device) on all of them. All of them had touch screen issues ranging from chronic ghost touches to touches failing to register or sticking, all of them were crashing far more frequently than my N7v1 did, two of them had rear camera issues, one of them (the third) had chronic freeze/restart issues (it would randomly lock up for several seconds or show a corrupted screen then shut down or reboot - and this could occur even while the tablet was cold/idle on the home or daydream screen), most of them had trouble locking on GPS satellites, the USB connector on all three I owned was too loose to provide a reliable PC connection for transferring files, etc.

When you get six out of six unacceptable/defective devices in a row from different sources, confidence in the product goes pretty far down the drain. Many people on Google's Nexus 7 forum were reporting similar experiences of going through 3-6 devices to get a seemingly flawless unit and some of them posted again a few weeks later reporting that their "flawless" units started exhibiting signs of one or more common defects.

Those threads died out about two months ago; not sure if that is because people gave up or problems got solved. Many people were hoping 4.4 would solve the N7v2's many issues but initial reports were mixed bags of fixed and worse. During boxing day, I tried N7v2 demo units running 4.4.x in three different stores and they seemed to still have the same issues they had back in August so I decided to give up on the N7v2.

The N7v2 has nice specs but seems to have significant QA issues.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
intel may have paid google to put bay trail soc in that nexus, part of intel's glorious new plan to pay major players in tablets to implement intel silicon.
Intel doesn't need to pay them. Go to Notebookcheck.net or some other review site and read reviews of Bay Trail devices and look at benchmarks. Those are great chips, low power consumption, high performance. They can even drive Windows 8.1 tabs, not just Android. Intel has already won again, nobody just realized it yet.

InvalidError

Titan

On the CPU side, Bay Trail is only about even with Snapdragon 800 but on the IGP side, the 800 is ~60% faster and the Tegra K1 later this year is supposed to be 2-3X as fast so Intel has not won that race yet. Intel got an unexpected lead on CPU perf/watt but is still limping along for graphics.

There is also the matter of how much Intel charges for their x86 SoCs vs what Qualcom, Samsung and friends charge for their ARMv7/v8 parts. With so many device manufacturers/vendors competing around the $200 price point, a $10-20 difference in SoC pricing can make a significant difference.

InvalidError

Titan

For me, the "perfect size" is the largest size that will fit in normal coat and pants pockets with little to no effort and 7" tablets like the N7 v1/v2 are already stretching that limit... maybe 8" with (much) thinner borders. Above that, additional carrying accommodations become necessary and personally, that ruins the point of having a mobile device.

InvalidError

Titan

Nvidia had a hard time getting design wins for the Tegra 3 before everyone else started launching devices with newer SoCs, Tegra 4 did not get many design wins before everyone else started launching devices with more powerful SoCs so unless Nvidia gets their act together this time around with K1, we probably will see most device manufacturers launching new products based on some other SoC.

As for the N8, the Intel thing is only a rumor at this point... and Intel's HD4600 seems grossly under-powered for a 1200p display so I would be a little surprised if Google made that much of a compromise since I bet games account for a fair chunk of their Google Play revenue.

Status
Not open for further replies.