Google Now Laying Fiber for Super-Fast Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
When officially launched, Google's network will provide speeds of 1 Gbps -- about 100 times faster than existing broadband services currently providing Internet access to homes nationwide.

...and theoretically 10x faster than my LAN connection of 100Mbps. So it download movies faster than transferring it to my other computer.

computernerdforlife

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Here I thought I wanted to move to Texas for reasons like: bigger steaks/burgers, big events, bigger curves, bigger everything,... I never thought that would include something like bigger/better internet.

No one on these forums have said it yet so I will: everything's bigger in Texas.

G

I can get 100 Mbps cable internet where I live in Australia, so this is only 10 times faster. Of course, none of that speed is actually usable so why bother?

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
oh noes, the *cough* competition *cough* will sue Google for too low a price at too good a product that will eliminate the competition and then Google might rise the prices or stop innovation,,, wait, this is already happening with all the BS caps and stuff like that...

Eliminate them all Google!!!

Include in there that french company that offers inferior maps to your free ones for a price.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]computernerdforlife[/nom]Here I thought I wanted to move to Texas for reasons like: bigger steaks/burgers, big events, bigger curves, bigger everything,... I never thought that would include something like bigger/better internet. No one on these forums have said it yet so I will: everything's bigger in Texas.[/citation]
Yeeeaaaaah, this article has nothing to do with Texas. At all.

Kurdain1

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
It's odd they would lay these lines above ground, it's cheaper than going in ground of course, but much more prone to damage from just about anything from car crash to tornadoes.

dietcreamsoda

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Is Google just laying the infrastructure to lease out to existing ISP's, or will they also be the ISP? If the latter, that would be great. Go Google!

A company actually doing something good with their money? That's unusual. Internet providers are busy fixing prices usually. I hope this will force some sense in their businesses, as well.
Good for Google, I hope they expand this real soon.
Remains to be seen if Google will extend this service all the way to the consumer (like a regular ISP, only better), or they will end up leasing this "highway" to the usual perpetrators. I for one hope for the former.

oxiide

Distinguished
[citation][nom]dietcreamsoda[/nom]Is Google just laying the infrastructure to lease out to existing ISP's, or will they also be the ISP? If the latter, that would be great. Go Google![/citation]
Thats what I was hoping I'd see in this article. The former sounds more likely though, sadly.

robojox

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Finally Fiber optic.
I have used fiber optic between two PCs 4km apart on a network of fiber optic. I had no latency. It felt like i was using the computer right infront of me using the windows login. I wish that they would lay fiber optic in the country areas where there is a lack of internet.

There is a pratical limit to bandwidth long before you hit gigabit speeds; Web servers cannot pump out anywhere near that kind of data. I have a decent 30Mbps connection (of which I get a consistent 25Mbps most of the time), but when it comes to streaming movies, and browsing web pages my connection is faster than Netflix and other sources can move. the nice thing though is that you can have a ton of users all downloading HD content at the same time, but the point remains the same; Anything faster than 20-30Mbps is wasted bandwidth right now for 'home use'. Now, if you are doing dedicated WAN networks where you want to do video editing and have your file server on the other side of town while you do the editing at home... sure... that will eat 1000Mbps (120MB/s) easily enough :)

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
#caedenv
There are torrents, and future streaming options to match demand and supply and put the stress on the networks when absolutely needed, like streaming from multiple sources, as in each user gets that streamed video and is still holding it in memory and uploading it for the neighbour who is watching the same show but came home half a hour later.
Just because it is of not that beneficial now (and torrents are now :p), gibabit internet is a very good step in the right direction.
Caps on bandwidth are the very exact opposite.

timaeus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
So, when is Google going to implement this in their own backyard? I live in Silicon Valley, and yet AT&T U-verse is my only fiber option, and the speeds don't come anywhere close to this...

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Hey let's at least give Google some credit for doing this. The other internet clowns have always been too scared of the cable and telephone companies to take them on directly. Hopefully, this spells the end of the line for Comcast and its crap service.

US_Ranger

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
The town I live was one of the finalists for Google lines. We're a northern California town and it came down to us and Kansas City. It was Kansas City that ended up getting the nod. Too bad for us because we're stuck with Comcast now.

Also, some people are asking why it took so long for Google to get this rolled out. This isn't the fault of Google but instead the fault of the cities where they're working. Like any government institution, lots of red tape has to be cut in order to get things started.

Status
Not open for further replies.