Google Offers Free 1 TB Google Drive Storage With Chromebook Purchase, Heats Up Online Storage Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

dusty13

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
1 tb for two years free is about as useful as all other time limited "free" storag offers.

so i get 1TB for free and after two years i am supposed to spend 9.99 to keep them?

thanks but no thanks ... that is more than i have to spend on my office365 subscription (family edition) and there i get a total of
- 5 installations of office on pc/mac
- 5 on tablets
- 5 on mobile phones
- AND can invite 4 people to my subscription with each one of them recieving 1 TB onedrive totalling to 5 TB

that is not even mentioning that the limit on onedrive for office subscription accounts is about to be removed so by next year you actually get 5x unlimited storage ... for 99,-- a year / 8,25 a month (or 9,99 a month if i you pay monthly if i am not mistaken)

google has to do way better than 1 TB for two years to offer anything substantial in terms of online-storage as an incentive.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
The problem here, is that Chromebooks serve a niche market still. They have limited usage cases. You can't just walk into BestBuy, OfficeMax, OfficeDepot, Walmart or any other retailer and pickup software. You're limited to all the garbage in the Chrome Store. Much like with the Play Store, Google has allowed the Chrome Store to be filled with garbage apps that mostly serve no purpose. For most Chromebooks, you're forced to use "cloud storage", which means if you don't have internet access, you're screwed.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I pay $9.99 a month for Office Home, for this I get unlimited OneDrive storage, and get to install Office on my machine, tablet, phone. I also get to add 4 other people to my account to get the same services. So for $120 a year I get 5 people access to Microsoft Office and unlimited OneDrive storage. 2 years of that is less than the cost of a good Chromebook. I doubt what Google is doing is really heating up the storage wars.

Oh, btw, Microsoft upped OneDrive to 1TB a month or two ago, and I believe is going to roll everyone to unlimited over the next few months. The war is over when everyone has to offer unlimited, not much further you can go.

Status
Not open for further replies.