Google Optimizes Screen Power by Reducing Image Sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as it saves power, I'm a happy man. Love to get more battery life out of my phone. More research in power saving mobile radios would be nice too. But the screen is one of the more power consuming things on the any smart phone.

adbat

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Sounds great - I was waiting for somebody to implement something like this. I thought about this for LED LCD's deviding them in half or 1/4 could bring you a lot of power savings when all you need is phone UI are other simple information (messages, status etc..). For OLEDS you just need a black background.

G

thats stupid, I dont see any benefit of this as opposed to just turning of the UI completely untill the user starts an interaction again as that should sure save more power.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]Why dont just make the screen more power efficient or make battery more efficient.[/citation]
Wow. You should suggest this to Google. I know they've got a lot of engineers on their staff, but I guess none of them ever though of this...

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]if OLED is so inefficient, then whey even use the technology?[/citation]
Reread the article. You got is wrong.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
[citation][nom]killabanks[/nom]sounds silly[/citation]

I agree - it does sound silly. If you're not looking at the display it may as well be turned off, and if you are looking at the display, I'm sure you wouldn't want it slowly shrinking over time, becoming harder and harder to read.

Seems like one of those "just a thought" patents. Practical in theory but not very useful in application.

Status
Not open for further replies.