Google Patents Autonomous Vehicle UI

Status
Not open for further replies.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
[citation][nom]downhill911[/nom]Google Patents Autonomous Vehicle UI because of being worried that APPLE would. LOL[/citation]

Apple would what? They can't even make maps right.

house70

Splendid
[citation][nom]downhill911[/nom]Google Patents Autonomous Vehicle UI because of being worried that APPLE would. LOL[/citation]
Because they actually made a autonomous vehicle. It's not only an idea they patented, but the actual product. That's how patents should be granted to begin with.

twelch82

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
I hope these are defensive rather than offensive patents, but even a company that currently has a "don't be evil" motto can change at the drop of the hat. You know, founder dies in a plane accident, investors take over and decide to milk the IP for all its worth.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
sounds about right, in fl we can have self driving cars legally ... still haven't seen any dealerships sellign them though, i hope they make a prius with the option i would be a customer for sure

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010

iHaters 2 Cents...lol. I like what Google is doing with auto industry. This is a huge investment in the future and Google may be a major player in automated cars (Smart Cars).

G

I wouldn't trust a self driving car until there is a good 10 year track record fo less accidents then manual.

I wouldn't trust a self driving car in the presence of manual drivers it he biggest problem. Trying to predict unpredictable humans around you.

Assuming a self driving only area, sensors imbeded into the roads, speed signs, street signs etc. Then i would be happily try it out. I wouldnt trust freeway driving until it was proven safe tho.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
This patent is for the UI, which is the User Interface. NOT the technology of the self driving car. As the article points out, it just looks like a normal UI with an extra status bar. Hardly worthy of a patent and clearly based on designs already in the public domain, including my car.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]Apple would what? They can't even make maps right.[/citation]
Me thinks if Apple made autonomous vehicles with Apple maps, a lot of people would die. Their autonomous vehicles would fall off a cliff. What a cleaver way to heard the Apple sheep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS