[SOLVED] Google photo dedicated machine

May 29, 2022
Hello hello, I have around 5 tb of personal family photos and videos. I want to upload them all to google photos. May I ask what hardware and OS will be the most suitable/convenient for this sole purpose?

Thank you very much in advance, appreciate it..

Regards

Solution
In the US they are getting better,but my upload speed is 10 MPS and 300 down with a VPN (coming from 300 baud dialup,I'm impressed!).
So lets do some math since most people have asynchronous internet (high download and slow upload). 5TB at 10 mps equals "not gonna happen!"
And mine, here in flyover Virginia, is 100/100 fiber.
I could go to symmetrical 500/500 or gigabit if I wanted to pay for it.
So far, don't see a need for it.

In any case...for the OP...the PC and its OS is of little consequence.
Are you indifferent to the speed of this operation?

Are you indifferent to the cost of this hardware and software?

Is your current hardware and software known to be poor for this purpose or do you have any possibly suitable hardware and software at all?

Last edited:
Reactions: Eug T.

USAFRet

Titan
Hello hello, I have around 5 tb of personal family photos and videos. I want to upload them all to google photos. May I ask what hardware and OS will be the most suitable/convenient for this sole purpose?

Thank you very much in advance, appreciate it..

Regards
What do you have now?

Your uploading would seem to be mostly dependent on your internet speed, rather than the PC.

May 29, 2022
Thank you so much for reply and ask :)The speed of iperation I'm not to concerned about (as it will be uploaded from my home)..I currently have HP z400 8gb ram.

I have windows 10.. but I'm open to use cloudy ready, flex OS, or Ubuntu if that's more stable or reliable in doing this task.

Thank you again

May 29, 2022
I have also thought of uploading all to google drive first (using the sync - so that I dont need to upload the photos/videos by folders - so many of them). I tried using Google drive on windows 10 and the syncing keep having hickups.. so that's another route to explore if certain hardware/OS can do better than windows 10... Thanks again..

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you so much for reply and ask :)The speed of iperation I'm not to concerned about (as it will be uploaded from my home)..I currently have HP z400 8gb ram.

I have windows 10.. but I'm open to use cloudy ready, flex OS, or Ubuntu if that's more stable or reliable in doing this task.

Thank you again
My 8 year old Win 10 i7-4790k based system would be no slower than my 6 month old Win 11 Ryzen 5 5600x system.
Or either, with Linux.

Your ISP upload speed is the limiting factor.

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
My 8 year old Win 10 i7-4790k based system would be no slower than my 6 month old Win 11 Ryzen 5 5600x system.
Or either, with Linux.

Your ISP upload speed is the limiting factor.
In the US they are getting better,but my upload speed is 10 MPS and 300 down with a VPN (coming from 300 baud dialup,I'm impressed!).
So lets do some math since most people have asynchronous internet (high download and slow upload). 5TB at 10 mps equals "not gonna happen!"

USAFRet

Titan

Solution
May 29, 2022

Thank you very much for your help, appreciate it!

May 29, 2022
Thank you very much for your help, appreciate it!

Internet is 1 thing that is really expensive in US while cheap in India.
ACT-1-GBPS.jpg

$27 if paid Monthly or $23 if paid for 7months.

Truly Unlimited. Consistent 1Gbps Up+Down and no Up-to speed. Full speed all the time.