Google Picks Atlanta, Nashville, Raleigh-Durham, And Charlotte For Google Fiber Rollout

Status
Not open for further replies.

envain

Reputable
May 28, 2014
I dont get why they arent pushing harder for the bay area, I see San jose is on the list So im assuming the permits are just way more expensive for the city and eastbay compared to South East and the south.
I feel the most of the money to be made would be in the more dense population areas.

I wish Google fiber was available in Australia, but all we have is our prime minister Tony Abbott - the worlds biggest technophobe who scrapped our fiber plans because who need more then ~10mbps down and ~1 up... right?

darkguy2

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2013
Hopefully Google has learned from the previous projects and will use that to streamline the process for these new cities. I hope that one year from now I will be using my new fiber connection.

Retrowire

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013
woohoo, can't wait! oh and dietcreamsoda watch it. RDU isn't what you would call "hickass". we're the up and coming silicon valley of the east coast. only getting bigger too.

milkod2001

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Looking at price list: https://fiber.google.com/cities/kansascity/plans/

Basic Internet - Up to 5 Mbps download & 1 Mbps upload speed FOR FREE
but you have to pay $300 for one time construction fee or there are $25/month payments WHAT A JOKE.

Gigabit Internet $70/month sounds good for those speeds.
Is there any downloading cap? Does Google promise not to sniff around all private browsing/down/uploading and whatnot? Does saying:''INVITE DEVIL TO YOUR HOUSE' fits here? lol

Looking at price list: https://fiber.google.com/cities/kansascity/plans/

Basic Internet - Up to 5 Mbps download & 1 Mbps upload speed FOR FREE
but you have to pay $300 for one time construction fee or there are $25/month payments WHAT A JOKE.

Gigabit Internet $70/month sounds good for those speeds.
Is there any downloading cap? Does Google promise not to sniff around all private browsing/down/uploading and whatnot? Does saying:''INVITE DEVIL TO YOUR HOUSE' fits here? lol

Because everyone knows that other internet providers don't sniff your data packages... not to mention they give you everything (hardware, connection, etc.) for free, right?
FYI, Verizon FiOS sells their better bridge/router for 200 bucks, then you'll have to pay monthly to access the Internet. The USD300 one-time cost doesn't sound too bad now, does it? Your so-called "better deal" at 70/month means after 4.5 months (about 300 dollars-worth) you'll need to keep forking over that 70 dollars, while the smarter dude on Google Fiber is out of the woods... forever.

Then again, you might be sleeping on a huge pile of cash and any of this won't matter to you, in which case please, keep trolling.

kenjitamura

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Salt Lake City needs the competition from google's fiber. Comcast and Centurylink options are pretty much all we've got right now and their pricing/speeds are a joke.

Who gives a crap 1GBPS for $70 per month!

Status
Not open for further replies.