Google Releases Chrome Beta for Linux, Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

donaldduck

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
About time! :)
However, the "dev channel" version has been pretty stable on my linux machine and I think I will keep on using it, as that is the only one that supports extensions (for the moment, at least).

G

I've been using Chrome in Ubuntu (9.04) for four or five months now... Am I crazy? Or did they have an alpha release or something before this for Linux?

donaldduck

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
[citation][nom]NoOne7331[/nom]I've been using Chrome in Ubuntu (9.04) for four or five months now... Am I crazy? Or did they have an alpha release or something before this for Linux?[/citation]

It was the "dev channel" release. There is one for Windows as well. It is not really an Alpha release but more of a "testing" release, including more functionality that will eventually be integrated in the "stable" channel (such as extensions).

lifelesspoet

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Awaiting a mouse gesture plugin so I can finally switch from opera. Love both, but opera has been lagging in speed and stability lately.

G

I have been using the dev version in Ubuntu for the better part of its existence. Been pretty stable and much faster than Firefox overall.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
not so integrated with themes, mine doesn't apply a single element under Ubuntu. It looks just like the windows version. Not even gonna mess with it, I'm just happy it's out and seems to work.

donaldduck

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
[citation][nom]lifelesspoet[/nom]Awaiting a mouse gesture plugin so I can finally switch from opera. Love both, but opera has been lagging in speed and stability lately.[/citation]
You could try this extension:
http://www.chromeextensions.org/appearance-functioning/mouse-stroke/
But you need to use the "dev channel" version of chrome. Also, it is nowhere near the sophistication of Opera just yet.

[citation][nom]michaelahess[/nom]not so integrated with themes, mine doesn't apply a single element under Ubuntu. It looks just like the windows version. Not even gonna mess with it, I'm just happy it's out and seems to work.[/citation]
There is a GTK integration for Chrome, but it is disabled by default.
You can activate it in the "Under the hood" settings, but I usually prefer to use one of the themes already available for Chrome, as the GTK integration makes Chrome slightly uglier and just a tad slower on start-up.

didymus03

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
Perfect timing! I have been using Chrome on Windows for nearly as long as it has been out and just this week I installed and started using Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.